The News-Jeremy Jordan

The drive home from the doctor's office was quiet and you could cut the tension with a pair of scissors. The news the doctor gave us was even worse than either one of us could have imagined.

Music played quietly as we headed home. I looked over to see Jeremy gripping the steering wheel so tight his knuckles were turning white. I wanted to say something to him. To tell him that everything was going to be okay. But how could I tell him something I wasn't even sure was going to happen?

Before I knew it, we were home. As soon as we pulled into the garage, Jeremy turned off the car. He got out of the car so quickly, he was inside by the time I had unbuckled my seatbelt. I sighed as I walked back inside.

I looked around the house to see where Jeremy had run off to and finally found him in the kitchen. I leaned against the door frame, biting my lip. My heart broke as he put his hands on the counter. With his back towards me, I saw his muscles tense and his shoulders start to shake. I walked over and tightly wrapped my arms around his waist. I leaned my forehead against his back as I felt him let out the sob he had been holding since the doctor's office.

"Jeremy," I said softly. "We need to talk about this."

"I can't, Y/N. I'm sorry, but I just can't. I'm. . . I'm not strong enough for this." My heart broke as he pushed off the counter and took the stairs, two at a time.

I was about to go after him when the phone started ringing.

"Hey, Mom," I sighed as I answered.

"Hi sweetie," she sighed. "What did the doctor say?"

I cleared my throat, stopping the tears before they fell. "The tumor is back. They. . . They aren't sure if radiation is going to get rid of it this time."

I heard my mother sigh before she asked, "How big is it?"

"They said about the size of a nickel."

"I'm so sorry, Y/N. How are you doing with all this? How are you feeling?"

"I'm doing okay. I have my good days and my bad days. I'm more worried about Jeremy. He hasn't said anything since the doctor told me my test results. He won't even look at me, Mom. It's really scaring me. What do I do? How do I talk to him? What do I say? How do I get him to talk to me? If something happens to me, I don't want him thinking I died thinking he hated me. He would feel guilty and that would be awful. I don't want that to happen."

"Y/N, honey. Stop and breathe. Everything is going to be okay. You two will get through this. Jeremy loves you. And you love him. I know that this isn't going to be easy, but you two are strong. You'll get through this."

"Thanks, Mom," I smiled slightly. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetie. Your father and I are planning on flying out in a few days. If you need anything before then, give us a call." When my mother hung up, I put the phone on the counter and ran up the stairs.

I walked into our room and sighed when I saw Jeremy laying on our bed, with his back to me. "Jeremy? Honey, can we please talk about this?" I sighed when he didn't say anything. I climbed into our bed and laid down next to him. I wrapped my arm over his torso and kissed his shoulder. I smiled when he self-consciously started playing with the wedding ring he put on my finger two years ago.

"I know we don't know what is to come. I know that this changes things and that it's scary, but. . . We can get through this. But I need your help. I. . . I can't do this without you, Jeremy. I need you." It was then that the news finally caught up to me. Jeremy stiffened as the tears stream down my cheeks. I gasped when he turned around and pulled me into his chest.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. I shouldn't have gone all "cold shoulder" on you. It's just. . . All of this is too soon. I mean. . . There is going to be a lot of change and I didn't want to think about these changes. It's scary and I don't want to think about losing you. You're my world, Y/N. And I don't think I could handle losing you. But it's not about me. It's about you." He stopped talking and sat up, pulling me with him.

"I promise, I will be by your side at all times. I will push my fears aside and focus on helping you. We are going to get through this." I gasped as Jeremy leaned down and pressed his lips to mine.

When we pulled apart, Jeremy laid us back down. "I love you," he said as he ran his hand up and down my back.

"I love you too."