Chapter 17

I look over at my alarm clock and see that it is 6:30, I don't really feel like being alone anymore. The newspaper is sprawled next to me, still fixed on the cover page. I couldn't force myself to continue to read the article. I've turned into a monster in the public's eye and I'm not sure what to do with that, I never really expected this. I didn't cry, I just sat on my bed thinking back to that day, thinking about what I could have done differently so she could be alive and not me.

I slowly get up off of my bed and walk over to the vanity to touch up my makeup. I place my converse back onto my feet, grab my purse, placing my phone within it and I enter the elevator. My room is locked from what I can see and I take the elevator up to the main level. The elevator dings, catching the attention of Steve and another man who was talking with him.

"Glad you could join us." Steve walks up to me and gives me a quick hug, he whispers into my ear. "Are you OK?"

I nod and Steve turns to introduce me to his friend.

"Sam I would like you to meet Grace."

"It's an honor to meet you, Grace," Sam says and I shake his hand. Steve and Natasha have told me a little about him and how he helped take down S.H.I.E.L.D., which was infiltrated by Hydra.

"No, no it's an honor to meet you, Mr....?" I say.

"Oh no, you can call me Sam." He says and I nod.

"Well, I'd hate to get in the way of your Pool game so I'll go look for Natasha," I say and Steve nods. "It was nice to finally meet you, Sam."

"And you Grace." He says before I step away. I spot Natasha by the bar and she waves me over.

"Hey, are you OK? Did you read the article?" I nod and try to hide my emotions. Natasha does the last thing I thought she would do. She pulls me into a hug. "I know, the first time you are discovered to be an 'enemy' is always the hardest."

"Yeah," I shakily say, "Is there anything I can have to drink?"

Natasha smiles and pulls out a root beer bottle. "I want you to walk back over to Steve and take a drink of this. I want to see his reaction."

I chuckle and she opens it. Natasha nudges me away and I go back to Steve and Sam, who are in a deep conversation at the moment.

"Steve, I have a question," I say.

"Ok, one second Grace." He says then turns back to Sam before freezing up and twisting himself back to me. "What is that?" He almost shrieks and reaches out to take the bottle out of my hand but I was too fast. I take another gulp and reach it back out to him. He quickly takes it and marches up to Natasha. I look over at Sam and mouth "It's Root Beer." Sam doubles up into laughter and we make our way to the bar.

"Steve, take a look at the bottle," Natasha says, Steve's face is all red form anger.

"I did take a look, Romanoff," He spits back, "it says Beer on it."

Natasha now bursts out into laughing fit along with me and Sam.

"Steve, take a look at the word before it," I say between chuckles. He looks at it and starts to chuckle to himself, the redness disappearing from his neck and face. After placing the bottle onto the bar he puts his hands up.

"You guys got me." And we all go into a little laughing fit. "That was some good acting kid."

"I learn from the best." I look over at Natasha and she smiles back at me after drinking from her bottle.

I feel my phone buzz in my purse.

"I'll be right back." I take my phone out and make my way to a hallway before an elderly man  with a World War II cap stops me.