Chapter 18

I walk into the lab to see the damage. Glass shatters the floor and I try to avoid crushing it as I step through the lab. Steve walks in carrying one of the rogue bots and places it on a table.

"Grace, your arm," Natasha says and I look down to see blood drip off my fingertips to the floor. On the sleeve a large gash travels up my forearm, blood seeps into the fabric and trails its way down my arm.

"It's fine." I simply say and close it up with a flick of my wrist. My hearts pound against my ribs and I try to control my heavy breathing as I step away and sit in a chair. Tony walks into the room, his face is struck with fear and tries to hide it from me with a small smile but fails. Natasha walks in and goes straight to the computer, Clint followed her in and sat down on the staircase. Steve keeps looking down at the ground with his arms crossed and Banner comes in and makes his way over to Natasha. Natasha sighs and I turn towards her.

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared us out." Bruce says.

"He's been in everything, probably knows more about us than we know about each other," Natasha says.

"He's in your files, he's in the internet; but what if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" Rhodey says.

"Nuclear codes," I say. "You need to make some calls, Rhodey. It won't take Ultron too long to get those codes, especially if he figures the patterns and how long it takes for them to change."

"Nukes?" Natasha walks over to our circle. "He said he wanted us dead."

"He didn't say dead, he said extinct." Steve crosses his arms.

"He also says he killed somebody." Clint walks up to us from the staircase.

"There wasn't anyone else in the building," Maria says in her corner.

Tony picks something up from the lab table and walks to the center of the room. He lifts up a remote and presses down at it causing an image of Jarvis to show up at the center of the room. Bruce gets up and walks towards it as Tony walks away.

"This is insane," Bruce says.

"Jarvis was the first line of defense," I say. "He would have shut Ultron down if he wasn't destroyed."

"No Ultron killed the simulated Jarvis, this isn't tactic, this is rage," Bruce says as Thor walks in, gaze on Tony. He grabs Tony by the throat and lifts him off the ground.

"Come on buddy use your words," Tony gasps.

"I have more than enough words to describe you Stark." Steve steps up before this gets too far.

"Thor, allegiant him," Steve says.

"Trace went cold about hundred miles north and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it again."

"I don't understand." Helen stands up and goes over to the broken robot on the table. "You built this, why is it trying to kill us?"

Tony leans against the table and starts laughing, causing Thor to become even more pissed.

"You think this is funny?" Thor walks over to him.

"No, it's probably not, right? Is this so terrible? Is it so? It is so terrible." Tony turns towards us.

"This could have been avoided if you hadn't played with something you couldn't understand."

"I'm sorry that you don't get how important this is."

"Tony maybe this isn't the right time." Bruce quietly says in his corner.

"Really? Just like that? You're going to roll over show your belly every time somebody snarls?"

"Only when I created a murder bot." Bruce snaps back.

"We didn't," Tony throws his hands around, "we weren't even close. Were we even close to an interface?"

"You did something right and you did it right here." Steve walks towards Tony. "The Avengers was supposed to be different than S.H.I.E.L.D.."

"Anyone remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?" I actually don't remember this, the team did fill me in with stories and everything. "Saved New York, remember that? A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space. We're standing three-hundred feet below it. We're the Avengers, we can bust arms dealers all the live, long day; but that up there, that's the Endgame. How do you plan on beating that?"

"Together," Steve says.

"We'll lose." A glint of fear flashes through Tony's eyes.

"Then we'll do that together too." Steve looks to the rest of us and raises his voice. "Thor's right, Ultron is calling us out, and I'd like to find him before he's ready for us. The world is a big place, let's start making it smaller."

I take off towards the elevator and go down to my room to start my search for Ultron.