The Jackets

Keith blew his nose in a tissue. "Why did you have to go about making me sick Lance?" His voice sounded awful, he was more pale then usual and his nose was red.

"I warned you." Lance was just starting to make a recovery from his cold. "Besides you didn't have on enough layers."

"You live... it shouldn't get this cold in Cuba!" Keith argued.

"We are not in Cuba Keith, my family comes from Cuba." Lance told him.

"Seriously?" Keith raised an eyebrow. "Then where is Cuba?"

"It's an Island." Lance told him.

"Why aren't we there instead. It's freezing here." Keith argued before sneezing again.

"Wow, when you get sick, you get sick." Lance laughed. Keith wrapped the blanket around him more before picking up his bowl of soup to start eating.

"Well Keith, it's been fun having you around, you don't stay for long." Lance's mom said as she walked in to bring them some rice bags that were all nice and warm.

"Ahhh..." Keith relaxed to the warm bag. "Thank you, for the soup and everything."

"It's no problem, you shouldn't be flying when you are sick anyways." His mom said as she took their empty dishes. "Hey Keith, are you the one Lance always wrote about?"

"What?" Keith questioned.

"Mom!" Lance snapped.

"His rival, back in school." His mom went on. "Lance would alway talk about how he was getting close to defeating you, you were always neck and neck."

"Rivals... almost forgot about that." Keith chuckled. "Why did you ever think we were rivals?"

"We were rivals." Lance said.

"I didn't even know your name till you told me when you were rescuing Shiro." Keith said.

"What! How could you not know your own rival?" Lane questioned. "You always were the best in everything, and I was always fighting to try and beat you."

"Why did you care if you beat me?" Keith asked.

"Cause... I wanted to be like Shiro. He was my hero as a child, he is the reason I wanted to be a pilot." Lance said. "Shiro was best of his class, and to be like him I had to be best of mine. But you were the best, that was until you got kicked out."

"Yeah, that's why happens when your a bad boy." Keith chuckled. "Shiro was the only thing keeping me straight in there. James wanted me gone, and he knew just the words to start a fight to get me kicked out. Adam didn't fight much, since Shiro and him broke up before he left, he didn't care like Shiro did for me. I was suppose to go into foster care, but I ran away instead."

"I'm sorry Keith... I wish we could of been better friends." Lance said. "I just hated you so much back then. You would rock the exams without even trying, when I would stay up for hours and hours at night studying just to barely get by. You were naturally gifted, that's what makes you a good leader."

"I didn't know you felt that way Lance." Keith looked over at Lance, who was looking down. "I'm sorry. I wish we could of been better friends too, but I wasn't very open to others."

"Emo." Lance teased.

"Whatever sharpshooter. Without you I would of been dead a long time ago." Keith said. "You saved my skin a few times back in the day."

"Yeah I did." Lance chuckled.

"We do make a pretty good team, don't we." Keith smiled softly.

"Yeah, we do." Lance smiled back.

✨✨✨🌟✨✨✨🌟✨✨✨🌟✨✨✨

"Thank you guys for everything." Keith said as he was getting ready to leave. He had made a full recovery for the three days and two nights he was there. "I couldn't imagine being sick in space, so thank you, that would of been awful."

"Anytime man." Lance said. "Don't forget to bundle up before you head out."

"Yes, got my scarf, gloves, hat, boots... where is my jacket?" He questioned as he looked around for it.

"Hmmm?" Lance helped him search, but they couldn't find it anywhere. "I don't know..."

"Just borrow one of Lance's old ones." Veronica went to the closet. "He has lots of old junk you can use." She opened it and started going through the coats.

Lance's and Veronica's Garrison uniforms were in there along with the rest of the big family's coats and winter gear. Finally Veronica pulled one out. It was the green jacket with the white hood that Lance always wore back in the day.

"You don't wear this anymore, right?" Veronica pulled it out. "Seems about Keith's size and it's warm." She pulled it off the hanger.

"No... I haven't worn that in years." Lance said, remembering that jacket that was with him throughout all his time in space. "Almost forgot about it."

"Ummm... thanks." Keith accepted the jacket and put it on, it was surprisingly warm and he smiled at how comfortable it was.

Lance watched Keith put on his jacket, he couldn't take his eyes off of him. "You look awful in it." He commented. "Good thing it's just till you get to your ship." He said.

"Yeah..." Keith opened his eyes before going to the door. "Thank you Lance, for everything." He said before opening the door and quickly leaving.

"Really?" Veronica raises an eyebrow. "You look awful in it?"

"Well He did!" Lance argued back.

Veronica laughed. "Wow."

"What?" Lance questioned.

"If you didn't want him to take that one why didn't you just say so?" She questioned.

"I'm fine with it." Lance said. "I don't wear it anymore anyways... besides, I got his jacket, I'm holding it as a hostage until I need it."

"What? You have his jacket?" Veronica raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, his crop top red one." Lance went into his room and pulled it out. "See?" He did indeed have it. "I grabbed it before the castle of lions exploded."

"Why didn't you just give him that one then?" She questioned.

"Cause I'm holding it as blackmail or something." Lance said. "He probably doesn't fit into it anymore."

Veronica rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say Lance. I'm going to go head out..."

"Going on a date?" Lance teased.

"Maybe. Don't tell mom." Veronica whispered.

Lance chuckled. "Your secret is safe for now sister."

"I will take you down if you say anything." Veronica snapped as she got all bundled up for the cold. "Got it?"

"Roger that." Lance said, before heading back into his room.