studies and mistakes- steve rogers

It was nearing 3:30 a.m, and you were struggling to not close your eyes. Sleep threatened you, whispering in your ear, taunting you, but you refused to submit to its deadly temptations. So here you were now, eating boatloads of chocolate because you needed the sugar rush to keep you awake as you studied for your finals.

You had gone back to college to earn your masters degree after two years of SHIELD training and nearly five years of being an Avenger, and you were questioning if that was really the best decision, and if you should've finished your years off all at once instead. But you were determined to get a solid education and a bit of training in before carrying on with your life.

Finals, a brutal thing. It kept you up through the late hours of the night when you should be getting a decent sleep. It clung onto your thoughts, making you stress out over it 24/7. In the shower, while on walks, while eating, while hanging out with friends. Every second of every day, it stuck in your head.

Letting out a tired groan, you put your head down on the cool, marble counter. This is hopeless, I'm never going to finish...you thought. At best, it was going to take another three to four hours, but by then, it would be morning, and you'd be heading back on campus to begin the first day of exams.

A light clicked on in the hallway, and you heard a soft voice call out, "Is someone there?"

You didn't respond.

"Hello?"

The person shrugged and looked around, then caught sight of your figure slumped over the pile of textbooks in the kitchen.

Steve.

"Hey, what are you doing up this late, Y/N?" he asked.

You looked up at him and gave him a look. He was immediately concerned upon seeing your face, dark circles under the rims of your red, puffy eyes, and the pile of Hershey's wrappers in the trash can.

"Finals?"

You nodded and reached over for your pencil, determined to actually try harder this time. "Exams start tomorrow...and I don't understand anything I'm reading right now...I'd kill for coffee. Literally."

He slid into the chair next to you, and picked up a spare pencil, facing towards you. "You need help?"

"Uh huh." You rubbed your eyes and pointed to the problems you didn't understand.

"Oh, I see. What you have to do is this..." For the next hour, he explained how to solve the problems and quizzed you on certain terms to ingrain the facts into your brain. You were surprised at how well he explained everything, he made everything so easy to understand so by the end of that hour, you were exhausted, and really, really, really just wanted to fall into your bed and sleep. But you felt more confident. "Do you get it now?"

"Yeah."

"Come on, now, you have to sleep."

"But I need to---" you protested.

"Sleep is more important. If you don't get enough sleep, you won't be able to focus. You'll do fine. You got all the terms right."

"Nnngh..." You stretched your arms in the air and yawned.

"Okay, come on, let's get you to bed, sleepyhead." He picked you up and carried you, bridal-style, back to your room.

"Thank you..." you thanked him, your voice muffled by your pillow. "I would've been up all night if it weren't for you."

"It's nothing. Look, you really need to sleep now. You need the energy for tomorrow."

"Goodnight," you mumbled as he pulled the blankets up to your chin. "You're the best." With that, you fell fast asleep.