sleepless nights- steve rogers

<<requested by: anon>>

oof I apologize this sucked uhhh wow

➳➳➳

Steve couldn't sleep.

Being a superhero who was one of the 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes' and all, days in which he actually got an adequate amount of rest and felt well-rested the morning after were very rare. Especially after he'd watched you go down on the battlefield, clinging onto your life with all that you had left and on the verge of falling into the endless abyss of death, he'd grown restless. He had to carry your near-lifeless body across the field to get to the Quinjet, time seeming to tick by alarmingly faster than its normal speed and it terrified him.

It terrified him, upon seeing the blood seeping through and spreading across your suit and staining his hands, but all he could hear and think about as he rushed you to safety was the pounding of his heart in his chest and the word, Hurry, repeating in his head over and over and over again.

And even though you were okay, recovering with either Bruce or Bucky keeping watch every few hours, he couldn't shake the thought that you'd almost lost your life out there, that he'd almost lost you forever.

He didn't realize just how much he cared about you until recently, either. He'd thought that it was just because you two were so close, constantly being around each other, being paired up for missions and sticking together for just about everything, but it turned out to be something more than that.

The road to recovery for you was a long one at that. You were forbidden to get out of bed unless it was to take a shower or to use the restroom, so other than that, you stayed put. You were aching to see the others again because several days had gone by without you seeing them, and were just waiting until tomorrow morning when Bruce said he'd let you go.

You surprised yourself when you found yourself wishing to see Steve more than anyone else, though. With his kind eyes, warm smile and protective and loyal personality, there was no one else you felt more safe and protected around than him.

And also, on top of feeling terrified for you, Steve felt guilty. He felt guilty that he hadn't been able to get to you in time---even though everyone told him that it wasn't his fault and it wasn't something that he could control because he was all the way on the other side of the HYDRA base. Yet pain and guilt clawed at his chest every time he remembered the event, and he just wished there was something he could do to just make it better.

He spent the majority of the late-night hours mindlessly wandering the compound alone, and when he ran into a weary-looking Bucky he was taken by surprise.

"It's three in the morning, Steve," Bucky yawned as he sat across from his friend at the kitchen island and tiredly rubbed his eyes. "What're you doing up this late?"

"Can't sleep," he shook his head, "I just can't fall asleep."

"Something bothering you?"

He nodded before letting his head fall into his hands.

"Y/N."

When Steve didn't respond, that was all Bucky needed to know what was going on with him. "Steve, you need to sleep. You'll be able to see her in the morning."

"I know," he murmured, sitting back up and running a hand through his messy hair, "but I just can't sleep."

Bucky paused, silently observing Steve's expression and posture as his brows furrowed together in thought. "You're in love with her, aren't you?"

"No, Buck, I'm just concerned about her health and how she's doing in general. I'm not in love with her," he sighed. "We're just really close, and that's it."