as time goes on, i'll always love you- peter parker (part 2)

April 21, 2017

It had been over a year since the Civil War between Steve and Tony, over a year since you and Peter had gone off to Berlin to fight. Ever since Steve had returned from exile and the others were released from prison under certain conditions listed by the government, the Avengers were broken.

Tony Stark asked you and Peter to join the team, and this was also when you'd just found out you had the ability of electricity manipulation, in the hopes of making the Avengers a stronger team overall. And he made the right decision. You were a skilled fighter and so was Peter, and through joining, you were able to form close bonds with the others, including Wanda and Pietro, who weren't too much older than you.

Having two young kids on the team gave Tony and Steve something to focus on other than bickering with one another, and Natasha and Bruce became overprotective parents.

As the days went by, the Avengers grew to notice how close you and Peter were. They could easily tell how you had feelings for him but put all your efforts into concealing them, while Peter was less subtle about it.

It was when you recieved your first bullet wound to your thigh that Peter started getting all overprotective, refusing to leave your side and making sure that you were always in the same group on any missions you went on.

April 30, 2018

The fight to retrieve all six Infinity Stones and take down Thanos along the way had begun. Although this wasn't the first ever battle that you'd fought alongside the Avengers, you still couldn't shake the feeling that it was going to be a war in which no one would be able to escape unscathed.

Now you understood what it felt like having a blade going clean through your chest. You'd been injured countless times during battle: you'd been shot, stabbed, bruised, and beaten to the point where you thought you'd never see the light of day again, but all of that compared to what you were feeling now was nothing. It was the pressure of saving the entire world, no, the entire universe that was weighing heavily down on your shoulders and seeing countless others fall in your place, and you couldn't do anything about it. It was hearing the news of your parents' deaths, killed in a plane crash two years before.

Like all things needed to come to an end, the battle was won and victory was claimed. Yet you still felt like something was missing. Knowing that there were people who had died for the cause, knowing that there were even innocent people who didn't deserve to die, was taking its toll on your heart.

The screams of civilians running for their lives, gunshots echoing across the bustling city, shattering windows and explosions rang in your ears long after the war was over. It seemed that even though he was dead, Thanos's spirit was still left behind to haunt you until the end and it was ripping you apart from the inside.

The ride back to the compound was dead silent. You looked around to bruised, cut, and dirt-streaked faces with worn-out expressions, blank stares, and slumped shoulders.

You let your head fall against Peter's shoulder, burying your head into his chest to muffle your sobs and he put his arms around you, holding you close as you let yourself cry.

"Hey," he whispered, "remember I'm always going to be here for you, okay? I swear."

You looked up and met his gaze before pulling out your locket and opening it, smiling sadly at the tiny picture inside. "You promise?"

"I promise. I swear on my life," he repeated, kissing your forehead and smoothing your hair back.

"I ship it." Sam suddenly spoke, breaking the awkward silence floating around in the air. "I'm sorry. I just had to say that. I ship it."