reckless love- steve rogers (part 1)

"That was too risky," Steve said to you as the Quinjet touched down back at the Avengers compound and everyone got up, and you rolled your eyes at him.

"Yeah, but I couldn't just let the mission leader die like that," you scoffed, "that's far worse."

The mission that you and the Avengers were sent on involved retrieving intel for SHIELD from a HYDRA base in Iceland. On your way ou, there had been a heavy downpour of bullets, making it near impossible to escape alive if it weren't for Steve's shield and your powers. And when you saw a bullet speeding towards the two of you just as you sprinted out the exit doors from an agent that had escaped who had been trailing behind you, you knew that if you simply stood there and did nothing, Steve would be shot in the chest.

There was no way you would let yourself live with the guilt that your teammate died because of your careless mistakes and foolish decisions.

So you ended up getting shot in the stomach when you jumped in front and took the hit that was meant for him.

"Still, it was too risky, Y/N," he sighed, rubbing his forehead before wrapping an arm across your shoulders and helping you inside.

"I know," you mumbled as he laid you back on the couch and tended to your wound, securing the new bandages around your abdomen. Steve looked down at you in concern when he saw you squeeze your eyes shut against the tears that were clawing their way up through your body, clenching your jaw in an attempt to conceal the screams threatening to escape from your throat and for a brief moment, squeezed your hand in his before promptly pulling away.

He gazed down at you worriedly again and you paused for a moment before resuming your speaking. "I just had to. I had to do it, Steve. There was no other way."

"No, you shouldn't have," he said in a suddenly stern voice, and you looked up at him in confusion.

"Yes, I should've."

"What were you thinking, pulling a stunt like that? Do you know how risky that was?" he questioned, crossing his arms over his chest and giving you a hard look ,and you felt chills run your spine upon seeing his eyes cloud over with darkness.

"I know," you replied, causing him to sigh loudly again, "I knew what I was doing, Steve. I did what I had to do."

"You obviously didn't know what you were doing, Y/N. You obviously didn't understand any of the risks before throwing yourself out there like that."

"Care to elaborate?" you rolled your eyes at his raised tone, "What risks exactly, hm?"

"You could've gotten shot point-blank if you had been even a second later. You could've died! Did you even think to consider any of those factors beforehand?"

"No, because I was too busy thinking about the fact that if I didn't jump in front of you to save you, then that would be the end of Captain America," you fired back, glaring up at Steve. "And you can't even be the least bit thankful that you're still alive because of what I did?"

"You don't understand, Y/N!" he exclaimed.

"What is there for me to understand?" you let out a sigh of exasperation, throwing your hands up in the air. "If I didn't do anything, you'd be dead. Simple as that."

"You got hurt," he pointed out. "You got hurt badly, but things could've been so much worse if things had taken a different turn."

"No shit, Sherlock," you snapped as you got up, trying to ignore the stabbing pain in your side when you did so. "It's quite bold of you to assume that I don't know that taking a bullet isn't really the most painless thing to happen to someone."