sleepy confessions- steve rogers

You were peacefully sitting on your bed and reading another one of your books when you heard loud, obnoxious pounding on the door to your bedroom. Upon looking at your digital clock on your nightstand, you saw that it was past midnight, meaning one of two things: Steve was here to

a) annoy you

or

b) sleep.

"Y/N?" you heard Steve's voice ask from behind your door.

"Hm?" You set your book down and went over to open the door, revealing an exhausting-looking Steve with dark circles lining his bloodshot eyes. "What...what happened to you? Are you alright?'

He stumbled past you, tiredly flopping onto your bed and crawling in, pulling the blankets up to his chin. "I'm sleeping in here," he announced.

"O-kay..." you looked at him quizzically, closing the door behind you. This wasn't the first time that your best friend had barged into your room late at night because he wanted to bug you or just pass out cold on the floor or in your bed, so you didn't question it.

You returned to your spot on the bed and clicked on your phone, making sure that it was on low brightness, scrolling through your camera roll and social media for a bit until you felt your eyelids droop heavily from fatigue.

"You're tired," Steve mumbled, moving his head so it was resting on your lap, his legs now entangled with yours. "You should get some sleep, too."

"Mhm," you hummed, absentmindedly playing with his hair as you cleaned out your camera roll. "Just a sec."

"It's getting late, get some sleep," he begged, looking up at you innocently.

"It's not that late..." you looked back at the clock and your eyes widened when you saw the blinking red numbers read 1:30 a.m.

"...oh."

You reached up to turn the light off and laid back in bed, pulling the covers up past your arms and snuggling into the pillows.

He leaned over to check the time and as he did so, you could feel his breath falling against your neck and a blush spread across your face as a result. You tried to cover it up but failed, as the blush had now spread to your ears.

"You're blushing," he smirked before sliding back under the covers.

"Nope. And even if I was, you wouldn't be able to see, because it's pitch black in here."

"In case you're forgetting, the super serum gave me enhanced vision," he wiggled his eyebrows up and down. "I saw you blushing."

"Shut up," you smacked him lightly on the shoulder, turning away from him so that you faced the other side of your room.

He pulled you against his back and his arms snaked their way around your waist as he rested his chin on top of your head, causing your heart to skip a beat.

"Steve."

"Hmm?"

"Shouldn't you be back in your own room and sleeping in your own bed instead of invading my space like this?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Your bed is more comfortable. Tony spent more time choosing out your bedsheets than mine," he replied sleepily. "because he favors you over me."

"I thought we had the same beds?"

"Nope," he nuzzled his cheek into your hair, his grip around you tightening. "Now go to sleep."

"Goodnight," he murmured once you'd fallen asleep, softly pressing his lips to your forehead. "Sleep tight."

...