as time goes on, i'll always love you- peter parker (part 1)

A timeline of Y/N and Peter's evolving friendship. they were both born on 2001, Y/N on August 12, Peter on August 10. (lets pretend endgame never happened and they won infinity war)

May 5, 2010

"Y/N, honey!" your mother called from the kitchen. "There's someone I want you to meet!"

You paused from drawing in your sketchbook and opened your door, stepping out and tenatively peeking around the corner. A boy around your age was standing next to who you knew as Aunt May, with brown curls framing his face.

He smiled and extended his hand out to you. "Hi, I'm Peter."

You knew from the second he introduced himself that you were going to like this kid.

"Hi, I'm Y/N," you took his hand, shaking it.

August 12, 2012

"Happy Birthday dear Y/N," Peter, May, Ben, and your mother as your father walked out from the kitchen holding a strawberry and vanilla cake, your favorite lit with exactly eleven candles stuck on top.

"Thank you guys!" you smiled, looking around at everyone before closing your eyes and making a wish, blowing out the candles.

"Time for presents!" your mother sing-songed, and handed over the first gift, which was from her and your father combined. You tore it open to reveal the stationary set that you'd always had your eye on, and your eyes widened in shock.

"Thank you thank you thank you!" you squealed, throwing your arms around your mother and father's shoulders, "you guys are the best!"

Once you had put off your parents' gift to the side, Peter handed over to you his present. It was small, carefully wrapped with sky blue wrapping paper, with a silver bow on top. Contrasting to before, you carefully opened the gift to reveal a silver locket with a picture of you and him inside.

"It's beautiful," you breathed out, wrapping your arms around your best friend. "I love it. Thank you."

"No problem. Just so you know, this is going to be your reminder that no matter how far apart or no matter the situations, we're always going to be best friends."

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise." You and Peter linked your pinky fingers together, and Aunt May took this as an opportunity to snap a quick picture.

February 14, 2014

"Hey, Y/N", Peter sighed as he lazily walked into your room, lazily collapsing onto your bed. You observed him quizzically before going back to focusing on the study guide handed out to you during math. "How's it going?"

"Disgusting."

"What's up?"

"Today's Valentine's Day," you groaned, sliding a hand down over your face, "and every single freaking lesson that I had today included something with hearts or love or candy and all that nonsense. Sheesh."

"I think I even saw a few...couples..." he gagged, pretending to choke himself. "Middle school relationships never last. Why are they trying to promote the idea of not being single?"

"Don't know."

The two of you stayed in silence for a while, Peter reading his book and you focusing on studying for your next quiz.

"Uh...do you wanna kiss?" he asked suddenly.

Your head jerked up and you whipped around to look at him, a faint blush coating your cheeks. "What?"

"No, do you want a Kiss," Peter stuttered as he corrected himself, pulling a large bag of Hershey's Kisses out of his backpack.

"Oh...uh...sure," you shrugged. He tossed a few over to you, and you unwrapped one, popping it into your mouth.

Smooth, Pete, very smooth, he mentally scolded himself.

September 25, 2015

"I dumped him," you announced as you met up with Peter at your locker, taking your books out and getting ready to walk to the library together.

"Why?" he questioned. "Weren't you guys together for only a month?"

"Yeah. Thought I loved him, he seemed like a great guy in the beginning and all, but turned out to be an complete jerk who only cared about his reputation. Arrogant bastard," you muttered under your breath, but he could clearly hear the disappointment in your tone.

"Hey," he spoke softly, placing a hand on your shoulder, "that guy, he didn't deserve you. He was a jerk, alright? You're too good for him."

"Why can't I find a decent guy out there? Am I not good enough?" you lowered your voice, staring down at the sidewalk, watching your feet take one step after the other.

"Don't say that. I'm sure you'll find someone someday," Peter reassured you, taking your hand in his and squeezing tight.

"Thank you, Peter," you looked up at him, a small smile now on your face. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Anytime," he smiled back. "I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too."

If only you knew he meant it in more than just a friendly way.

November 1, 2015

"I'm Spider-Man," Peter spoke quietly as the two of you walked into the cafe to study together.

"What? Seriously?"

"Please don't tell anyone," he begged. "Promise?"

"Pinky-swear," you smiled, doing your usual pinky promise that you had been doing with him since you were kids.

November 30, 2015

You carefully knocked on Peter's door, silently hoping and praying that he was home. Your mother had called you as soon as you left school and were beginning to walk home, infoming you there was a drive-by downtown and Peter's uncle Ben was shot.

The door opened a few seconds later. "Hi, Y/N," Aunt May gave you a weak smile, and you gave her a quick hug in return.

"I'm so sorry," you murmured before handing the tinfoil-wrapped casserole over. "My mom wanted to me give this to you guys because she couldn't make it. She's still at work right now, but said she'll visit tomorrow."

"How kind of you, dear," she thanked you, going over to set it on the kitchen counter. "Peter's in his room, if you want to go see him."

The door to Peter's room was opened slightly, and you gently pushed it open, stepping inside. "Peter?"

He looked up and you almost flinched at his appearance. Although it had only been one day since the event, he looked like a completely different person---with dark circles heavily lining his red-rimmed and bloodshot eyes, and this terrified you, sending chills running down your spine. The normally bright expression he wore was wiped away, instead being replaced with an empty, hollow look that made your heart shatter into a million pieces upon seeing it.

"I'm so sorry," you whispered as you watched him shut your eyes and bite his lip, trying his hardest to hold his tears back. "I'm so sorry."

"Just hold me, please," he begged in a hoarse whisper, voice cracking on the last word.

You stepped forward and wrapped your arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight embrace.

You could feel your shirt get soaked as he sobbed into your shoulder, and wondered how many times your heart could possibly break before reaching its max because to see Peter in a vulnerable state as this one wasn't helping at all. It broke your heart to hear his voice crack whilst he tried his best to hold his chin up high and stay strong, and for him to reach his breaking point---was almost too much for you to bear.

"It's all my fault, if I had known, then I could've gone and stopped it---" he choked out in between sobs, "and he wouldn't be dead---"

"Hey hey hey, Peter," you soothed, "it's not your fault. You didn't know. Don't beat yourself up for it, okay? Sometimes there's just going to be things that you can't control."

"He's dead," he repeated again, voice muffled by your T-shirt, "he's dead, he's gone---"

You rubbed soothing circles on his back as you held him close, and he clutched the hem of your shirt tightly, holding on for dear life as if he was afraid to let you go.