i love you- steve rogers

You were on yet another mission: out of all of them, this one was your second time being thrust into a freezing environment that really put your skills to the test. Sokovia.

HYDRA had rebuilt their base and of course, you and the team were all sent to take it down, along with retrieving Loki's scepter which had somehow fallen into their hands again.

The barren, snowy landscape was an unwelcoming sight for those who dared to cross its path. Howling winds sounded out like the cries of demons from down under, blowing snow flurries around everywhere and whipping your hair in your face. The icy cold caused you to shiver violently, bringing goosebumps upon your skin and stabbing at your face like a hundred sharp, tiny needles. There wasn't a single animal in sight; all that was visible were the bleak tips of the snow-capped mountains and spruce trees swaying back and forth in the increasing speed of the wind.

"Tony," you whispered into your comm. "Status update?"

"I got the scepter. And you?"

"Alive and well. Meet me outside when you're done."

"Roger that."

You proceeded to creep across the forest, your boots crunching on the snow that was splattered with the blood of numerous HYDRA soldiers.

You quickly whipped around to stab another soldier with your katana but before you could pull it out of its sheath, you were met with an arrow piercing your stomach, causing you to gasp. Using up all the strength you could muster, you took out your sword and stabbed him clean through the chest.

After pulling it out from his body, you collapsed to the ground with a shaky breath.

"I've been hit," you mumbled as you pressed two fingers to your ear, sinking lower into the snow which was beginning to turn scarlet with the blood from your wound.

"What?" several voices shouted into your comm at once.

"Are you okay? How badly were you hit?" Steve asked, and you heard the clang of his shield, which indicated that he must be close by. "Are you alright?"

You let out a choked sob, trying to speak. "Sorry, Steve, but I don't know if I'll make it in time...I'm so sorry..."

"No, don't say that," he cursed under his breath and you gapsed for air, struggling to breathe.

You were already beginning to feel dizzy and cold, so very, very cold...

"Someone find her!" Tony commanded, and you waited there, willing for someone to come find you.

"Found her," you heard someone say, and you glanced up to see Pietro, worry etched onto his face. "She's been shot. With an arrow. We need to hurry, she is losing a lot of blood..."

"Oh god, oh god," you heard Steve mutter as he rushed over to you, placing a hand to your forehead as he took a deep breath, "come on, come on, you'll be just fine...Pietro...help me pick her up, please?"

Pietro attempted to pick you up but you cried out in pain, clutching your side. "Sorry," he apologized.

"Maximoff, please be careful," Steve begged, his voice ragged. "I can't lose her."

Various faces faded in and out of your slowly blurring vision, and all you could hear were the sounds of muffled voices. Death seemed so close by to you now...all you had to do was step over the edge and you were there, you could easily jump into its arms that would swallow you like an endless void...

No. You had to stay alive. For the team, and for Steve.

"I'm sorry," you burst out.

"No, no, no, don't die on me, do not die on me," Steve screamed, the sky splitting wide open with his cries of agony. He couldn't stand the idea of losing you. "Please, you're not going to die on me..."