XXVI.

"Qui non vult fieri desidiosus, amet." -Ovid

Let the man who does not wish to be idle, fall in love.

"Because I wanted you to tell me when you're comfortable with the fact." Mama Yang simply responded. "Is that why you went with me to the mall today?" She added.

"Kinda. I mean, I did wanna go with you. I canceled it yesterday morning because he told me that today, he was ready to be with me. Then he called me yesterday afternoon, telling me that he still loves Toni. I mean, what was I supposed to do there? Tell him that he shouldn't feel that way and force himself to be in a relationship he really didn't want?" Brett ranted.

"But I really can't do anything, so I joked my way around him and tell him that it's fine. I told him that I'm okay with being just a best friend. God, I feel awful for rejecting him when he asked to see me today." Brett added.

"I think you did the right thing, lah. You can't always let him have his way. I'm sure he needs to think, too." Mama Yang replied.

"He sounded so sure, ma. But I hate it. He was treating me as if I'm always strong enough to handle things like this. I'm trying to be strong but I can't always do that. Was I selfish for not meeting with him today?" Brett asked.

"No, I still think you did the right thing. You need time for yourself, too. Besides, your day wasn't wasted, was it?"

"I don't really have much more to say... Thank you for listening, ma." Brett said, really meaning his words.

"You know I will always listen, lah." Mama Yang said with a big smile.

When they arrived home with takeout in their hands, they were surprised to see Belle and Alexander with papa Yang in the living room.

"Oh, you boys didn't call me. You should have told me that Belle was here so we could've bought more food." Mama Yang said, putting the takeout down on the dining table and putting them on plates.

"Ma, after you're done there come to the living room, okay?" Papa Yang said.

Brett settled on the empty single chair and waited for Mama Yang. Mama Yang arrived, sitting down next to papa Yang.

"Oh, you're back from London?" Mama Yang asked, smiling at Belle.

"Yes auntie. But only until next month." Belle answered politely.

"That's great." Mama Yang said, finally keeping quiet.

"Ma, don't be surprised but me and Belle are engaged." Alexander said, holding Belle's hand.

"That's great!" Mama Yang said, immediate approval since Belle was already considered family, anyway.

"That's good news! We should celebrate... Is your family available, Belle? We could eat out somewhere." Brett said, hugging Belle and smiling at Alex.

"Yeah, we had already told them earlier. That was the thing, they already reserved a dinner place later at 7 pm." Belle said happily, holding Alexander's hand.

"Okay then, Belle. We'll see you all later." Papa Yang said, smiling at the couple.

Alexander and Belle already left. Papa Yang and mama Yang were already at the dining table, mama Yang just accompanying papa Yang as he ate his lunch. Brett was about to come up to his room until he was called by his father.

"Come sit here, Brett." Papa Yang said, gesturing at the seat to his left. Brett sat down and looked at his father wordlessly.

"Your mother just told me what happened. Do you still wanna go to the dinner or you wanna stay here tonight?" He asked again, looking at his son.