XLII.

"Amat victoria curam." -Unknown

Success favors those who take pains.

"Finally marrying you feels very fulfilling." Brett said, one morning, out of the blue while they were doing laundry.

"Brett, we've been married for two years now. You don't have to flatter me like you did two years ago. I'm easier to get now, since you practically already have me." Eddy joked, kissing Brett's forehead.

"I know, but it's true. Don't say you're easier to get because you deserve every bit of effort." Brett defended.

"You accidentally dropped something and broke it, didn't you?" Eddy asked, holding Brett close from behind.

"It's your favorite cup and I'm sorry." Brett replied, smiling apologetically.

"I know you are... You never sweet talk me until you've done something."

"I should sweet talk you from time to time, then."

"Oh, honey, you don't have to sweet talk me into anything. I'm weak for you most of the time."

"Oh god, hubby, you're talking like me." Brett started, turning around to hug Eddy back.

"Well, you were talking like me. You were sweet talking." Eddy defended, holding his cute, shorter husband closer to him.

"Speaking of sweet talk, I was gonna sweet talk you into not having children." Brett joked.

"Good, I thought I would have to break it to you. Thank god, you're practically my soulmate." Eddy breathed out, laughing at his husband. "I mean, the idea of children seem appealing but our lives are too hectic for a child. Besides, I don't want the child to feel the burden of the world." He added.

"I know... I think that if we do decide to have children later on, I want to adopt instead of getting a surrogate. I also wanna adopt a teen or pre-teen." Brett said, keeping their options open.

"I'd like that, too. But you know what, Brett. I think we'd be impulsive in a couple of years, so why not fill in forms now?"

"Hubby, you're sweet talking me. Nice try, but maybe next year. Or in two years. We've enjoyed our twenties and I think it's time for a new adventure." Brett agreed.

"Okay, honey. I love you." Eddy started in a sing songy manner.

"I love you too, hubby." Brett said, in the same manner. 

"We're fucking idiots."

"That, I agree on."

- - - - -

"Honey, are you still busy with the world tour bookings?" Eddy asked over the phone, holding his baby cousin by the hip.

"No, not really. Why?" Brett asked, smiling at the voice of his husband.

"Good. Could you come over? Just ask questions when you get here." Eddy stated, a bit out of breath.

"Okay, I'll be there in 10." Brett reassure, hanging the phone up immediately.

As soon as Brett arrived, he grabbed Eddy's baby cousin and kissed his forehead.

"You good, love?" Brett asked with concern as he sat down next to Eddy.

"I was but then, I needed to babysit her. I don't know what came over me but suddenly, when I was alone with her, my mind started racing. I started questioning myself in the face of fatherhood and what being a father means and whether if I have the capability to be a great father someday." Eddy said in a rush, but then Brett calmed him down.

"Oh honey, do you have any doubts in your mind? What made you think that you wouldn't be a good father?" Brett asked soothingly, entertaining the baby along the way.

"Everything. Don't get me wrong, Alice is a very good and cute baby. But, being alone with her personified every single insecurity about fatherhood that I didn't think I have."

"Hubby, I love you. Yes, I believe that we aren't ready for children yet but you don't have to be insecure about fatherhood. It's something that should be learnt along the way. Besides, we aren't adopting a baby, we are adopting a teen." Brett comforted, gently rocking Alice back and forth in order to lull her to sleep.

"You're right. I don't even know what came over me."

"It's okay, hubby. You're worried about it because it's important. I think you'll be the coolest dad a teen could ever have."

"Thank you, Brett."

"Hey, it's what husbands are for. Now, let's put her to bed since she doesn't have a crib." Brett whispered as he lead them to their bedroom.

Brett gently set her down on the bed. Covering her with their blanket and propping pillows by her side so that she doesn't fall, Eddy smiled at the sight. This was exactly what he wanted to have with Brett in the future. Yes, not a baby but a teen or a pre-teen. They left the bedroom but did not close the door so that they could always monitor the baby.

"How did you handle that so well?" Eddy asked after he drank a glass of water. "It's like it came to you naturally." He added.

"Not really... I was panicking because you were panicking, so my mind just went autopilot immediately." Brett admitted honestly.

"Still, it was good, honey."

"Thank you, hubby."

"You know what, I'm glad you talked me out of that impulsive decision to fill in adoption papers. I don't think I'm ready to be a dad yet."

"Me too, hubby. Me too..."

Then they here someone knocking on their door. It was Auntie Jenny, Alice's mom. She smiled at them as they greeted her. When she entered the room, she saw her little angel sleeping.

"Thank you for taking care of her, boys. I'll be off now. Sorry, it was an emergency." Auntie Jenny apologized as she carried her sleeping child.

"It's okay, auntie. Take care." Eddy said as he went out with them to open the gates.

Brett was smiling the moment Eddy returned.

"What?"

"Nothing..."

"I know that it's not nothing. What is it, honey?"

"You're pretty fucking cute. That's what." Brett said, kissing his husband.

"Shh, you're too much. But I love you."

"I love you."