Prologue

"Non nobis solum nati sumus." -Cicero

Not for ourselves alone are we born.

It was another day of Maths Tuition for Brett and honestly, he was over it already. He could just stay at home and practice but his mom knew he needed this. It's not his priority but it's not like he has a say in it.

He was staying in his usual seat, mind distant from where he actually is right now. His mind was drifting away to his current repertoire, the Saint-Saens violin concerto in b minor and he loves the richness that it was projecting.

The melody was amazing and it really was up to par for his time. Not to mention th-

"Hey... Do you mind if I sit here?" An Asian looking boy his age asked.

"No. It's okay..." Brett said, drifting back to the music sheet of the concerto in his mind.

Mindlessly, he moved the violin from the boy's side so it's not bothering the other boy.

"You play violin? Cool! Me too! I'm Eddy by the way..." The Asian boy, Eddy, said to him with glee.

"I'm Brett. What repertoire are you working on now?" Brett whispered, careful to not interrupt the man teaching them.

"I'm working on the Khachaturian violin concerto. It's what my teacher gave me..." Eddy said, humming along to the tune.

"I finished that last year. I'm working on Saint-Saens 3, I think. It's the one in b minor." Brett replied.

"That's cool... And as much as I want to talk to you, we might get scolded." Eddy started, laughing lightly.

"Yeah... I'll talk to you later after class, Eddy." Brett said, his mind trying to focus on the blackboard.

Brett was amazed, being able to meet a friend here. This is what Brett would consider as hell. Math equations on and on and on, when he could be practicing. Still, something inside Brett blooms.

A certain type of glee he had never felt before. It was amazing how Brett could feel this way about making a friend. Maybe this boy will be by his side as a best friend for years and years on.

The teacher's voice was drowned out the moment Brett was drifting away to the violin concerto he was working on as of the moment. The melodies seem to hit differently, though. He didn't know it yet but something deep inside him was rejoicing.

As soon as the classes were over, it was a bit dark outside. Both their moms are waiting for them as they walk side by side, just talking about interests and everything else they could.

"I hate this tuition thing but I'll see you next Friday, Brett!" Eddy said excitedly, waving before he decides to run to his waiting mother.

Brett just waved back, rushing to his mother too. He was going to get scolded the moment he stalls or goes any slower. He goes home that night and plays the concerto with much dedication.

- - - - -

The following day, Brett goes to the youth orchestra only to meet Eddy again. If this wasn't the world's way of telling him that he was meant to be friends with this boy, then he still would've followed. They sat next to each other, just chatting about things and everything else in between.

"Hey, I'm guessing we have to come here regularly together now. Since we're both the youngest ones here." Eddy started.

"I guess so. I don't mind, though. It's quite nice just chatting with you and all that." Brett said, smiling.

"I never got to tell you my full name. My name is Edward Chen and my parents are originally from Taiwan and moved here when I was a kid. I'm thirteen, almost fourteen."