XXXVII.

"O ego quam videor felix, immobile pectus pectoris immoti semper amantis amans." -Shakespeare

Then happy I, that love and am beloved, where I may not remove nor be removed.

"Well, do we choose where we marry or nah?" Brett asked, looking at his mom who was currently browsing through color selections for a suit.

"Of course you do. It's just, you boys went into this without much preparation, so me and mama Chen have to help you." Mama Yang explained, looking at a navy blue suit and put it up Brett to see if the color suited him.

"Ma, me and Eddy just don't mind the details. I could marry him in this outfit that I'm wearing and there wouldn't be complaints." Brett replied, knowing that he can't back out of this argument with his mother.

"Nonsense, lah. When you get married, your children and grandchildren will see pictures. Do you really want them to see you just in jean shorts and a white shirt with your slip on shoes?" Mama Yang pointed.

"In my defense, it wilk be easier to try things on with this outfit. It'll be a pain if I wore something more presentable." Brett argued.

"Well, I cannot stop you, can I?"

"You know it, Ma..."

"You're lucky that you're gonna marry or else I won't tolerate this behavior."

"I know, Ma. I know." Brett said with a huge smile.

"Usually, the tradition is that the eldest marries before anyone else in the family. But I'm glad you let your brother marry first."

"Ma, I didn't want him to suffer just because my love life was."

"I know, Bo. I know."

"I haven't heard that in a while."

"You hated being called that when you were little."

"I was a naive child, Ma. It's very nostalgic now." Brett said, kissing his mother's cheek.

"I'm glad, Bo. Now, try this on." Mama Yang remarked as she held the navy blue suit jacket up Brett's torso.

Meanwhile, Eddy and his mom are on the other side of the shop.

"Ma, I don't get the fancy clothing... Not like this is the first time I'm marrying." Eddy complained as they looked around for colors.

"So, you mean to tell me that you're gonna marry someone else after Brett?" Mama Chen replied, squinting her eyes at her child.

"No! That's not what I meant. I meant renewing vows and such." Eddy corrected defensively.

"The first wedding is the most important. Not every couple marries again to renew their vows." Mama Chen answered. "Try this one." She added, handing Eddy a maroon suit.

"Really, Ma? Maroon?" Eddy asked with great disbelief.

"It'll look great. Just try it on. Then if you don't like it, we can get something else." Mama Chen responded.

"Hey ma, are you sure you're really not against me marrying Brett?"

"Of course I'm sure. Besides, you will marry him whether you have my approval or not. I'd rather watch you marry the one you truly love than you marrying a girl because you think it's gonna earn my approval."

"Ma, thank you... I really needed to hear that."

"I know, ba. I know."

Then with that, Mama Chen lightly pushed Eddy in the dressing room so that he could wear the set his mom handed to him. Mama Chen settled on the seats next to Mama Yang. It was quiet for a while as they were anticipating what their sons would look like. Mama Chen spoke up.