XXVII.

"Dum spiro spero." -Latin phrase

While I breathe, I hope.

"So, Brett and Eddy, could you guys play at the wedding?" Belle asked, looking at the two next to each other.

"Of course!" Eddy exclaimed.

"Yeah, of course we will." Brett answered, smiling at the couple.

"Thanks guys, you're the best." Alexander said, holding Belle's hand and resting it on top of the table.

Brett and Eddy just smiled at the two.

They went back to the conversation they were having just now.

"Hey Brett, you really believe that my soulmate is somewhere out there?" Eddy asked, eyes full of hope and longing.

Brett silently prayed that his eyes didn't mirror that look.

"I believe so. Besides, as my mother told me before, not all soulmates end up together." Brett reminded, maybe more for him than the younger man.

They were quiet for a while, until Eddy smiled. Brett just looked at Eddy with the hope and longing. It lives in Eddy's eyes, too. Eddy observed the couples on the tables and how it would've been nice if he was with someone, too.

"What about you, boys? Any ladies that you might wanna marry?" Mama Chen asked with a slight chuckle, looking at them.

"Unfortunately, I have no one in mind, Mrs. Chen." Brett replied with a polite smile.

"What about you, Eddy? How is that girl you are dating, the very attractive one?" She asked again.

Alexander, mama Yang and Papa Yang were quiet, knowing what his brother and their son felt. They didn't want to add to it.

"Oh yeah, what happened with Toni?" Belle asked, smiling at his brother, oblivious to anything.

"Ma, we broke up a year and a half ago. She's now with her soulmate." Eddy said quietly, clearing his throat afterwards.

"Such a shame, lah. We already approved of her." Mama Chen added.

Brett was quiet during the conversation, not really feeling like talking now. He just got on with his dessert as the others start talking again. He really thought he was okay but the reminders were too much. He wiped his mouth and excused himself to the bathroom.

He walked in and immediately went in a stall. The tears were dripping already so he had to hide. Suddenly, he felt so small and so hidden. He quickly wiped them away, knowing he couldn't take too long in there.

He went out of the stall and looked at himself in the mirror. He really didn't want to see himself right now, so he avoided it. Brett washed his hands and immediately went out of the bathroom. He was met with Eddy walking toward him now.

"You okay?" Eddy asked, looking at Brett to properly check on Brett.

"Yeah, I feel a lot better after peeing. Thanks for asking." Brett said with a little laugh, joking around again to find himself out of the situation.

"Okay, let's head back then." Eddy said after chuckling at the joke.

They headed back to the table and Belle was talking about who she wants as a maid of honor.

"I know it's not really traditional but ma can I have Eddy as my maid of honor?" Belle asked as the two sat down.

Mama Chen frowned a little. She really didn't like the idea.

"Why would you want him to be there? What would people say, Belle? That your brother is gay?" Mama Chen asked, silencing the entire table.

"But ma, he's not wearing a dress." Belle argued with a small voice.