I.

"Natura nihil fit in frustra." -Latin phrase

Nature does nothing in vain.

Once Brett and Eddy were outside, they were just roaming around the park nearby them. It was relaxing even if the Australian sun was beating down on their backs. The humid air was entering their lungs. Somehow it's better than staying in this bed and sulking.

It was three pm when Eddy and him settled down on a grassy area. It wasn't secluded but it was far enough to have both their privacy just for them to share. Eddy sat down on the grass and immediately laid down.

Brett was looking at Eddy with disbelief.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Eddy asked.

"Nothing... That must've hurt your back." Brett replied.

"Sit next to me. I wanna tell you something." Eddy said nonchalantly.

Brett followed. That was given, Brett would follow anything Eddy asked him to do but only if it's reasonable. He sighed but followed anyway. Once he was seated, Eddy touched his arm. Brett  cleared his throat.

"What were you gonna tell me?" Brett asked, trying to stay calm.

It was quiet but Eddy spoke up.

"I'm afraid that I'm going to be left behind by you."

"Why? It's not like I'm going to study music in Julliard or Curtis. I'll always be by your side." Brett coaxed.

"I know you are but it's not like that. I feel like you're going to leave me behind  because there will come a time where you'll be too ahead of me." Eddy said.

"I doubt that I'll ever be ahead of you. If anything, you're probably the one who's going to be ahead of me in terms of everything. I mean, academics, art, dancing, and everything else you do." Brett said, lying down next to Eddy but he was careful to add some space.

You already seem two worlds apart me even if you are only ever within my reach. Brett thought but does not say.

They were quiet for a while. Just enjoying the sun that slowly turns to a sunset.

"It's just kinda scary, you know? I know the year we have apart shouldn't matter because I'll be following you soon, too. But a lot can happen in a year." Eddy replied again.

"You act as if I'm going too far away from you. I'll literally be just five minutes away from you." Brett joked, trying to lighten Eddy's concern.

It had always been like this. Eddy was quick to think about what would happen instead on focusing on now. It makes him miss the details of his current life. It made him miss the way Brett Yang has been in love with him for over a year now.

Brett was always staying in the moment. It's partly the reason why he falls for Eddy everyday. He never cared about their past or their future. What he cares about now is staying in the moment with Eddy. Thinking about their future apart only hurts Brett.

Brett sighed and sat up. Eddy followed as it was getting dark.

"Brett?"

"Yes, Eddy?"

"Will you always remember me when you've become a soloist?" Eddy asked, so  much emotion and though spilling through his words.

"Of course I will. I built the dream with you, how could I forget you?" Brett replied thoughtfully, no hesitation present in his voice.

"Good. Because I wouldn't be left behind you even if I'm a year younger." Eddy said, quite proudly.

"I know you wouldn't. You always catch up to me. Don't worry, Eddy. I'll even wait for you until we both become soloists..." Brett remarked, hoping that the pink on his cheeks wouldn't be as visible in the darkening horizon.