1

The girl stands nervously before the door. The rain storm, well tropical storm if she is being honest, lashing at her. The taxi driver waits impatiently to see if she will be leaving or staying. Taking one last breath she rings the bell. She just hopes that someone will answer her. She's not sure that any one could hear the bell inside that huge house, mansion, whatever you want to call it.

The door opens silently and startles the girl that was lost in her thoughts. "Yes?"

The girl is shocked, the place has someone dressed as a butler. She shouldn't have come here.

The taxi man is tired of waiting and takes out her suitcase and sets it near her. She's confused when he leaves without even being paid. But then turns her attention back to the butler like person when he patiently asks, "How may I help you?"

"Sorry," the girls says starting to shiver as the rain soaks her clothes, "I was hoping that I might be able to speak to Mr. Lawrence Legrand?"

"I'm afraid that won't be possible miss." The butler's words have the girl slumping in defeat and fighting back her tears. This was the only clue she had to her past.

The man going through the hall heard the girls voice over the raging storm and goes to investigate in time to hear her request.

"Let the poor girl in before she drowns Jeffers." He instructs the butler.

"Of course Master Kacey." The butler moves out of the way of the soaked girl and invites her into the spacious hall.

By now the girl is soaking wet and dripping water on the floor.

"Go get the girl some towels and prepare the rose guest room for her." The other stranger instructs the butler.

The butler nods and leaves to do as he's instructed. "Forgive our lack of hospitality, we don't get many people just dropping by."

The girl blushes deeply not able to look at the man once she saw how good looking he was. She'd been kept isolated most of her life and doesn't really know how to behave much around others. She does know basic manners and so she falls back onto those and keeps quiet the rest of the time. But talking to strangers isn't something she's very good with.

"I shouldn't have come, I am being terribly rude and interruptive. If my taxi hadn't left I would leave. Would it be too much inconvenience for you to call another one for me?" The girl finally finds the courage to look up and speak to the stranger.

"That is out of the question Miss. Excuse me, but what is your name? My name is Kacey Legrand."

"I-I am S-Sky B-Burnett. I was h-hoping to talk to Mr. Lawrence Legrand? I promise it won't t-take very much time." Sky manages to stutter she's getting colder the longer she stands there.

Kacey frowns at her. Just as the butler returns with some towels. Kacey takes them and starts to drape one across her shoulders and takes another and uses it to wrap her dripping hair up.

"I'm afraid talking to my father will be impossible. He died nearly five years ago. But I would be more than willing to try to help you." Kacey is thankful that the girl straightens up and stops looking so defeated with the last of his words. "However, that will have to wait until after you get changed out of those wet clothes."

He spots a back pack and a suitcase at the girls side. "Do you have something dry to change into?"

"Yes," Sky replies blushing deeply.

"Sky, do you have a reserved room at a hotel already?"

"No, I was afraid I would lose my nerve and not come if I didn't come here directly from the airport."

Kacey sighs out softly, he doesn't want Sky to feel like she's causing trouble. "Then you aren't likely to find one. They've shut down the island. The bridge is being closed. The taxi you brought here will be lucky to make it across before it's completely closed. The harbor is also closed due to the storm. I'm sure that every hotel and motel on the island is filled to capacity trying to take in all those that work here but live on the mainland. The only possible location would be a hourly rate hotel and you wouldn't be safe there."

Kacey wants to smack himself at her stricken look. "You will remain as my guest and the guest of my brothers until the island is once more reopened and you wish to leave."

"B-but I don't want to cause you any trouble Mr. Legrand."

Kacey smiles at the freezing young lady before him. "You won't be causing any trouble. We have a large staff and will easily be able to care for you during your stay here with no inconvenience. Now, if you would please follow me?" Kacey says and waits for her mortified nod before turning to the large staircase off to the side. He gently takes her arm to steady her.

"The marble is very slick when it gets wet." Kacey warns her even as he steadies her as her feet slide a bit.

"I'm causing more work for your servants already."

"They haven't mopped the hall yet and others have left a mess before you came. The water is easily dealt with."

After climbing he leads her down a corridor and stops before a door carved with roses. "This room is known as the rose guest room. This will be where you'll stay while you're here with us. Tandy here," Sky gives a slight jump as the girl she didn't notice gives her a slight curtsy, "will show you around your room and put your things away while you take a hot shower or bath to help warm you up."

"Tandy," Kacey instructs the maid now, "once Miss Burnett is finished with her shower or bath bring her to my study. Have my brothers join us and then bring in hot drinks: coffee, a selection of teas and hot chocolate. Also some light finger foods. We still have a couple of hours until dinner and she'll need something to help heat her up."

"Yes, sir." Tandy replies and gives another little curtsy.

Kacey turns once more to Sky, "Tandy will show you where to find everything. I'll leave you in her capable hands. Once you are finished come to my office and I'll try my best to help you. I'm sorry that you are unable to talk to my father directly, but-" Kacey cuts himself off. 

He gives Sky one more tight smile, "I'll tell you more once you are ready." With that Kacey leaves the bewildered female behind.

"Master Kacey means well, Miss Burnett, he really does. I'm sure that he'll do everything that he can to help you. Now let's get you out of those freezing cold clothes." Tandy escorts her into the biggest bathroom she's ever seen. She thought she had seen nice bathrooms before growing up, but this beat all of them hands down. The bathtub and shower were separate and the tub looks like it could hold several people. She's pretty sure that she sees jets in the tub as well.

She longs to try the tub out but reluctantly turns to the biggest shower she's ever seen. "Which would you prefer miss?" Tandy asks going over to stand between the two items.

"I would love a bath, but I don't want to keep Mr. Legrand waiting so I better go with the shower." By now Sky is having a hard time making her words coherent over the chattering of her teeth.

"Oh dear, this is how you work the controls for the shower. What kind of body wash, shampoo and conditioner would you like? We have several in the cupboard here. This is also where the towels are." Tandy waits patiently for Sky to answer.

"I don't care, I'm not very picky. Just choose something that doesn't stink, please." Sky says as she starts peeling off the wet and clingy clothes. 

"I'll just put these towels in the towel warmer over there and then I'll help you get those clothes off." Tandy says holding back her amusement as Sky becomes tangled in the wet clothing.

In no time she has the wet clothes off Sky and takes them from the room.

Without the clothes she actually feels warmer and the steam from the shower feels delightful.