43

They all are waiting for Sky to come down after getting ready for her date. They all wish it was them going on the date, well, all but Kacey that is having a hard time not being a smug bastard about it being his turn. That thought is knocked clear out of his mind as Sky comes out and starts down the staircase. 

As a matter of fact all thoughts leave all of them at her appearance.

Sky hesitates as she hears their in drawn breath but no words. "Is this alright?" She asks nervously. "Other than the party that ended so disastrously I've never been on a date before. I wasn't sure what to wear, but Tandy assured me that this would be perfect." Sky says nervously and smooths down the short skirt of the dress. 

"It's perfect, just as you are, Sky. We didn't say anything because you took our breath away with how beautiful you look." Kacey finally manages to say as he goes over to her and offers his hand for the final few stairs.

"You are stunning, Sky." Ellis manages to choke out. The others are still too tongue tied to make actual words but their noises of assent make Sky smile in pleasure.

"The boys just wanted to see you before heading out." Kacey whispers to her as he places a necklace around her neck. "A little gift from me." He had shown it too her before setting in on her.

"It's beautiful, thank you, Kacey." Sky says and smiles. 

Then she goes to each of her mates and kisses them goodbye. Wyatt stops her before she does him and takes her hand and lifts it to his lips, "I hope you have a lovely date Luna." He winks at her confusion then kisses her hand in respect. At least those watching think that, but the kiss has promise to them both.

Sky smiles and wishes them all a safe and good night before Kacey helps her leave the house. She is a bit confused as he hands her into a car. "Where did this come from?"

"I had Wyatt run back to the house and get it. I thought you would be more comfortable in this car than one from this pack."

"Thank you, Kacey, yes, I am."

Kacey is still reeling from how gorgeous Sky is as she dressed for their date. He isn't sure how he'll be able to keep control. So far his wolf is still in shock at her appearance and has stopped fighting him completely.

Actually if he thinks about it, his wolf has stopped fighting him since they talked this morning and she warned him that she would leave if he ever pulled a stunt like that again.

He doesn't know how long his wolf will back off, but he'll take advantage of it and do his best to make up to Sky for his actions. He hopes that someday soon she will forgive him enough to let him mate with her fully like she has Wyatt. It drives him and his wolf crazy to know that another has tasted his mate and he still is needing to make things better before he'll be allowed to be with her.

As they leave Sky notices that some vehicles leave before them and there are a couple behind them.

At Sky's look Kacey replies, "Your knights and their dates for the night. Some will get to the restaurant several minutes before us and some will come in after us. We are trying to make things less conspicuous. If this wasn't a date I'd just get a party room and it wouldn't matter."

"Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining." Sky says but then an awkward silence falls.

"How was the orphanage? You didn't come back ready to spit nails and acid so it mustn't have been too bad."

"I was pleasantly surprised. It was in almost as good of shape as the last pack we took over. The children were decently fed, but I was less than pleased by what I found out."

Sky purses her lips together in anger and Kacey wonders if he should pursue this line of questioning. He decides to go for broke. "What did you find out?"

"He was taking a leaf from your father's book. Any female over fourteen was sent to work in the pack house and was sent to be the alpha's private maid. Several of the orphans are actually his bastards that he wouldn't let the females keep."

Kacey is angry but confused. "Didn't you say that he only had the one bitch?"

"Yeah, that he recognizes, but the children are all females. He had no use for them, other than once they turn fourteen."

Kacey gets a sick look on his face. "He would rape his own child and get another child on her?"

"Yeah, but he was never able to get a grandchild. Fortunately the oldest of his children, other than the bitch was just turned fourteen today. She was more than a little relieved that she wouldn't have to serve him that night. Or even later that day. 

"He was truly one sick fuck. How did his people allow that to go on?"

"It takes a lot of shit before the natural inclination to follow the alpha is overcome. Most of the males were fine with what he was doing and would overlook what he was doing with the children as long as they were allowed to be with them as well." Kacey explains unhappily. The same thing had happened in his pack before he'd taken over. He wished he'd been able to do so years earlier. So many of the females are more than a little traumatized by what his father did and there is no going back for them.

"That's what happened to your pack isn't it?" Sky whispers.

"Yeah, but there was more reason for us to go against my father. It shouldn't have taken me as long as it did, I should have acted sooner." Kacey says bitterly.

"Kacey, no one in the pack blames you for what your father did. They are most appreciative that you ended him like you did."

"But I should have acted sooner."

"So, why didn't you?" Sky asks the question that has been bugging her for some time. Kacey is nearly thirty years old, He could have taken his father out earlier.

Kacey replies rather bitterly, "I had to get a majority backing from the leaders of the pack. It wasn't until five years ago that I was able to consolidate my position and take down my father without the pack leaders doing their best to take me down."

Now Sky was confused. She was told that the alphas were the law.

"The pack leaders were the strongest of my father's supporters and also the strongest of his fighters. I could have taken down my father sooner, but then I would have been ganged up on by the other leaders in retaliation. They liked how things were under my father. I took a few down, my brothers took a few down and that was enough."

"How much did you change from your father's ways to what I saw?"

"I wanted to do more, but moving too fast would have caused problems. You coming in rocked things up." Kacey smiles happily. "You were able to make the changes I wanted to make but couldn't. I have never regretted you coming into my life, Sky. I am very thankful that you did." Kacey says and gives her a quick smile before turning his attention back to the road. 

He finds the restaurant and parking place.

He goes to get out and Sky places her hand on his arm. Stopping he turns to her and is rather shocked by the kiss she gives him. "Thank you, Kacey."

Kacey leans in and kisses her back, "You are most welcome. Now I know that it is the thing for females to open their own doors, but at least while we are on the date, allow me to do so? I'm not much of a gentleman but for tonight I'd like to pretend that I'm one."

Sky laughs and nods her assent.