31

Sky checks on the children as soon as she gets back. The medical personnel assure her  that most of the children just need some food and care. They've already sent the needs to the kitchen and are now happily eating some fruit. Most have had showers and baths and are pleased to be wearing clothes that actually are more than rags.

Once she's reassured about the ones that need medical assistance will be alright in time she goes to see Kacey.

"I need a drafting table, some tracing paper and bond plotter paper to draft up the blue prints for the orphanage."

"Of course, Sky. You should take some time to eat while we find the items you requested along with some pencils and drafting tools."

Sky closes her eyes and shakes her head. She can't believe she forgot those items. Perhaps a break would be a good idea. "Sure, would you order me something from the kitchen?" Sky asks as she settles on the couch.

"Yes, would you prefer something hot or cold?"

"Cold will do just fine."

Kacey orders the food and then goes to her. "The demolition team got here shortly after you left for the Cummings pack. They've started the demolition and said that it would take a couple of days. They wanted to know if you wanted to recycle any of the wood?"

Sky shakes her head. "No, I don't think it's salvageable or worthwhile to do so. You can save it for a bon fire for the pack or something if you want. I'll want that company to go over and take down the other orphanage unless Ellis can find someone else that can get there sooner. I'd say just to burn it, but with it being surrounded by forest that wouldn't be such a great idea."

"I saw the state of some of the children. Just how bad was it, Sky?"

"It's the worse thing I've ever seen. I'm going to somehow find a way to see the condition of the other pack and see if their people are being treated just as badly."

"Yeah, but how to do so without causing a war? That's the hard part."

"Perhaps," Sky says thoughtfully. "The daughter of the alpha is mated to one of our wolves, isn't she?"

Kacey nods slowly, "Is he an official member of the other pack?"

"Not yet, he didn't want to join over there if things didn't work out between him and the alpha daughter. He saw how she was with us when we were dating."

"Then don't you think you should take the time to find out how that's going? Also, Ellis would really appreciate it if you could spare one of your brothers to help sort out that pack. From what he said it will take days just trying to make sense of the paperwork from the businesses. I guess the old alpha didn't like to do paperwork or keep it organized."

"Fuck. With Ellis over there I'm going to be short handed here."

"You could use Wyatt here and have him take over some of the lesser duties while I'm busy dealing with my duties. Chang can take over the guard duty during that time."

"I guess I can do that. Alright, I'll send Floyd over with some clothes for them both." Kacey says and then calls Ellis up.

Shortly the food is brought to  the study and Sky discovers that she is actually hungry after all. Just as she finishes up the items she needs for drafting out the plans for the orphanage are brought in. Sky has them set things up out of Kacey's way. Kacey notices that the lighting isn't all that great and so brings over his desktop lamp for her. "We can get you one at a later time if you wish."

Sky thanks him and gets to work. She has already more or less decided how she wants it and so she quickly sketches her ideas out on the regular paper then when she's satisfied she starts working on the plans themselves. Those will take longer since she has to have precise measurements. She decides to take a break when Kacey interrupts her concentration. 

"Sorry, Sky, but dinner's about ready. You've been working on those plans for hours. Please, take a break and eat something. They won't be ready to start construction tomorrow. You'll need to talk to the contractor and tell him what materials you want and then he'll need to order them."

"I'll talk to the contractor tomorrow. He should be able to order the materials then.

"Did you get ahold of the pack member that was mated to the alpha female of the other pack?"

"Yeah, Shawn, she hasn't been faithful and he's ready to come back. He just needs to reject her before he does."

Sky smiles slyly. "Oh really? Isn't that considered an act of war, Kacey?"

Kacey looks over at her and smiles, "Why, yes it is, Sky. It sure is and they've been warned about that before with that bitch."

"Nice, I guess we'll be taking a trip over to the other pack tomorrow."

Kacey is shaking his head. "No, let's have them meet us at the field."

"Oh, lovely I get to challenge the bitch again?" Sky asks happily.

"No, she's not the heir, he has a son."

Sky looks at him confused, "Then why are we meeting them at the field?"

Now it's Kacey's turn to look sly as he answers. "Because I will demand that he fight me to pay us for the insult to our pack and our member, or we will come rain holy hell on their pack. Their alpha might have twenty years on me, but he doesn't fight nearly as deadly as I do."

"Okay so once you kill the alpha, then what?"

"That will depend on the alpha heir. And of course what do we want to do with the bitch?" Kacey asks Sky as they walk out of the study. Kacey stops just long enough to lock the door.

"What are you thinking, Kacey?" Two wolves join them and escort them into the dining room.

"Well, first I think Shawn should be able to reject her if he decides to. Then I'll ask him what he wants to do."

Sky doesn't have a better idea then that and so nods as they sit down. This time she doesn't hear any nasty comments about her. That's a good thing since her wolf is still furious over how the pups were treated in the other pack. She is pleased to see so many of the new people here.

Kacey smiles and stands up. Every one stops talking and look to him to hear what he has to say. "I want to welcome those from the Cummings pack. Tomorrow we'll have you join officially. Until then eat slowly and as much as you wish. Just remember that there is desert so don't eat too much." Kacey has to hold in a laugh as the children start talking among themselves, excited at the idea of actually getting to have some dessert.

Sky smiles at them but inside she's very sad that something so simple is making them so excited. She vows to herself that they will never have to suffer so much again. At least not as long as she lives.