Chapter 4

"I shall go now, your grace. Thank you for always welcoming me in your humble abode." the king said after wearing his coat.

"Oh, no worries, your majesty. You can even live here again if you wish to." his father said happily while tapping the shoulder of his former student.

The king laughed, "That's actually nice but I can't just leave my people in the palace, right?"

His father nodded, "Yes, your majesty."

"You've been a great teacher and guardian to me, now it's my time to impress you and the people around us, after all those sacrifices, I can't let the duke down." the king jokes.

"Ah, what are you even saying, your majesty? Stop flattering me, it is my duty as a duke, a guardian and a good friend of your father."

And when King Roy turned to Idris, they gave a man-to-man hug before the tall king whispered something in his ear, "You should marry, my lord." the man said playfully.

"Ah! Stop it, your majesty." Idris smacks the king's back a little hard.

And that action could alarm the guards already but of course they didn't budge, they knew well that their majesty and the Lord Idris are good friends since they were kids, the actions of the two men are even worse when they're younger, fooling the guards, pushing each other on the dirt, climbing the high wall of palace and more.

If he was another person or a peasant, he would be tased to death immediately. Small suspicious actions are considered harmful, that's what is inside the guards' head. They know no nobles when it comes to their king, except two, Lord Idris and their Emperor.

"Then I'll see you again." the king said before coming into his huge carriage, the king waved his hand and Idris did the same thing too after that he stared as the people outside their manor vanished, following the king's carriage, and cheering for him, of course with a distance unless they want to be drag by the armed soldiers. Again, small actions are to be considered a threat for the nobles, especially high-ranking nobles.

"You can rest early for today, Idris."

"How about you, father?" he asked his dad who was walking towards his office.

"I'll finish some of my work and rest after."

He nodded, "Then I'll be going now. Goodnight, your grace."

The duke turned to him and smiled a little, "Goodnight, my lord."

After entering his room, Idris didn't bother to open the lights. He just dropped his body on the bed while his arms are in a sideward position, occupying the big soft bed. He sighed before removing the necklace around his neck, he then lifts it and stared at it.

The thick curtains in his room are opened, showing the dark but beautiful view of the town outside and the rays coming from the bright moon was enough to light the beauty of the necklace, what more if it is expose to a bright light?

"You're really pretty," he whispered while staring at the priceless diamond, "I miss you, mother." Then he dropped his hands on his chest while clutching the necklace.

"Come here, my lord." the duchess said when she saw his son peeking on their door.

"Your grace?" the 8-year-old boy said clueless but still followed his mom's hand signal.

"We're not outside the manor, my son." the woman said softly after stroking her son's soft brown hair. Brown hair that he inherited from here, the signature of the Jironus household.

The kid pouted before looking up to his mom, "But you called me 'my lord'." he said, sulking.

"My apologies." his mother said playfully, "Now. I want you to have this." The duchess removed the heirloom necklace given by her mother-in-law.

The boy opened his small palms before receiving the necklace, "Wow!"

"This is a very important necklace, my lord. I want you to take care of it, the Gastrells own it for generations, so never ever just hand it to anybody, okay?"

"Okay!" the boy answered in glee, still mesmerized by the necklace appearance.

"I know you will love this, you always played that when you were still a kid, whenever I carried you before." the mother said lovingly.

"Your grace, here's your drink." the duchess' personal maid said after knocking on the door.

The duchess nodded, then cupped his son's cheeks, "Now, please go back to your room and sleep."

"Are we going to play tomorrow?"

"Yes of course."

"Okay! I'll sleep now!"

"Very well." The duchess watched his son as he ran towards the door while grasping the necklace on his small hand.

"Thank you." she said after dismissing the maid.

And the next morning the Duchess was announced dead, after an old maid saw her lifeless body on the bed, James, the steward, who was currently in charge of the household that time ordered the guards to get the personal maid, but she was found dead at her room too, they asked the other helpers and the only answer they got from the shocked helpers was, "Food... Taste test.". James, then, concluded that it was the cook's fault because he was the one who prepared for the Duchess snacks, drink, and medicines.

They seized the man and sent a letter to the king that time, which was Roy Albrecht's father. And without any rights to defend himself as he was from the slums considered a peasant, the cook was hanged to death the same day.

It is indeed unfair for the latter's part, but a king's decision is unbreakable. Since the duchess came from a foreign country, the emperor's approval was not really needed that time. The sole decision can be done by the ruler of the kingdom.

There are times when his head goes blank and he will remember his mother, just like what's happening right now. Losing a loving mother at a young age is really hard. You can't help but to long for their care, love, touch and more, but despite the absence you must continue living, you need to move and go, following the track that you chose.

I am convincing myself with inspirational thoughts, but did I even make sense? Idris thought then decided to sit on the bed, well... anyway, let's drink.

He placed the necklace in his pocket, doesn't have any plans to wear it since it's night already and he'll sleep a little later. The man walked silently towards the kitchen, and didn't want to be discovered by maids, so they won't ask about what I need... let's not be a burden to them, Idris.

While drinking from the glass, he heard two people talking about something, Idris doesn't want to eavesdrop but since the door at the kitchen's open he still heard it.

"New helpers, James?" said the head maid of the household.

"Yes, we're running out of guy helpers in the house, since most men chose to participate with the empire's hiring of new soldiers and others will accompany the duke's trip for tomorrow."

"Okay, I'll pass the news then."

"We'll hire at least one that's good at gardening." James said then he heard their footsteps.

"My lord!" the two said in unison after seeing the young master at the kitchen holding a glass.

"Good evening."

"Do you need something, my lord?" the old maid asked.

"No, I'm good. I just drank. I'll rest now, please rest after your work." he said then smiled.

"Of course, my lord."

"James." he called before going out, "Please hire someone that's good... and caring. I want to preserve my mom's favorite spot of the household."

The steward looked at him, shocked, and then he smiled afterwards, "Of course, my lord. All for you and the late duchess."

He nodded then stormed out of the kitchen.