Chapter 16

After the announcement from the emperor's letter to the king, King Roy descended from another series of stairs authoritatively, the people around him stared with adoration in their eyes as their majesty walked down and lift his right hand holding a wine glass, the people clapped proudly and copied their king, all lifted their cup with grace and power.

"For the founding anniversary of the palace!" the king declared.

"All hail to the youngest king!" someone shouted from a group, and it was followed by cheers and greetings.

The event continued and the men and women started to dance in the middle, some started to chat and eat at the side. The king started to walk and greet his visitors, he started by greetings then followed by a small talk before for the next people. And his friend, Lord Idris waits for him patiently together with Rufus beside him.

After a few minutes waiting, the king finally went to their direction with all smiles on his handsome face. The king stood stall almost reaching Rufus' height, the young lord between them looked like a teen for a second because of his height. Compared to the two, he's much smaller, but he's actually taller than the men his age, it's just that the two... are way taller.

"Your majesty." The two greeted and bowed in unison, the king smiled at them before giving a small nod.

"A beautiful evening to the two of you... I am glad you made it, but I haven't seen Duke Frederick, Lord Idris?" he asked after he looked down at his friend.

Idris heaved a sigh, "Well, about that my king, my father- I mean, the duke has an important errand to do at the west and it sounds urgent so I didn't bother him anymore, but his sending his regards, he might send a letter to you by tomorrow, just maybe..." he explained. He scolded himself silently, he almost spoke informally towards the king! It's not really a taboo... for him to do that but he doesn't want to surprise the guests around them, they might start to make up shitty rumors behind his back and he hates that.

The king nodded, "I see... then, may you introduce me to your companion, my lord?"

"Right. Your majesty, this is Rufus, my attendant for tonight. He's a new worker in our manor."

The king looked at Rufus for a couple of seconds, his forehead knotted while staring deeply at him.

"Nice to meet you, Rufus." The king extended his hand and that surprised some guests, because a noble dared to extend a hand to an attendant, a peasant! And it is their beloved king at that.

The emotion on Rufus' face is quite visible, he was caught off guard, Idris noticed the look on his companion so he tapped Rufus' shoulder a little, signaling him that it's fine and he should just shake hands with the king.

"Nice to meet you too, your majesty." Rufus said deeply after recovering.

"Hmm... you look a little familiar but anyway, enjoy the party. I'll leave the two of you, for now."

Idris bid a goodbye to his friend as the king walked away, entertaining the new group of guests.

"You see, the king is nice, right?" Idris talked happily. Rufus turned to him before nodding.

"Rufus!"

Both looked at the direction where the soft, but a little throaty voice came from.

And there, Idris saw the familiar marquess of a certain kingdom.

"Marquess Ori." Rufus mumbled.

The marquess hopped happily towards their direction and he clung on Rufus' arm, "I knew it, it's you!" he said in a cheerful voice.

The action of the marquess made young lord to press his lips together, suppressing himself to ask any stupid questions that could humiliate him. He's trying to stop his curiosity; he just needs to wait.

The man's attendant saw him, and he immediately bowed for courtesy to the lord, Idris gave the attendant a little awkward smile before turning to the two again.

"Sir, looks like Rufus' with Lord Idris." the marquess' companion whispered.

"Ohh." The marquess finally faced him and composed himself but still, stood too near beside Rufus stood there like a stone.

"I'm glad to finally meet you, my lord." Ori smiled and extended his hand, "I am Ori Dumas, a marquess from the South, from your aunt's kingdom, my lord."

Idris nodded, now he knew why the marquess looked familiar, but he wondered what Rufus' relation towards the young marquess was.

"Idris Gastrell of the West, Sir." he introduced as he shook the man's hand.

Now that he thought about it, the marquess from the South is here; he hasn't seen his aunt, who happened to be a queen of the South, married to King Terry Bluberg III.

Idris glanced at Rufus who was just listening to them and made a compulsive decision, "I see that you and Rufus seem to know each other, might as well leave you two so you could have a conversation, then?"

Idris looked away after he saw how Rufus' looked at him, a ruthless glare. So scary...

"Oh, is it really fine, Lord Idris?" Ori asked excitedly with a little exaggeration and that made Idris feel annoyed, but of course he didn't show it to them.

This is actually the first time that Idris felt that, hating a nobility for no reason, he was upset with most aristocrats because they are arrogant but with the marquess... it felt different that even he couldn't name.

"I'm sorry, Marquiss Ori. But I need to be with my lord, all the time. Please excuse us." Rufus said suddenly. He didn't even give the lord the chance to walk away, he decided himself!

The three stopped after herding Rufus' words.

"Let's go, my lord." the man said then pulled Idris' arm a little.

The next he knew they were already walking away from the marquess and his companion, "You don't have to be so rude about him. He is your former employer anyway."

He looked back at the two and saw how devastated the marquess was while standing, the attendant's staring at the man with worry in his eyes. And now Idris feels a little guilty, all thanks to the man beside him.

"How did you know, my lord?" the man asked after he was done dragging him on the side.

"The what?"

"That I was a former worker in his manor."

"Just a guess," he said honestly.

But the man's eyes have a different glint in it, he's suspicious.

"It's true!" he defended, then sighed, "So, you came from the South then?"

"You knew I was originally from the North."

"No! What I meant is, before you work for us."

"Yes, my lord."

And Rufus' answer just made the lord crave for more details about his mysterious life.