Chapter 29

"What are you doing? Come, join us and eat." Idris whispered beside Rufus who was standing next to the servants of the Bluberg's.

"I'll eat after all of you, my lord."

And looks like the queen heard it, "What? No, no, you're a guest."

"I'm thankful for your hospitality but I am just a mere attendant, your majesty," Rufus stated after a sigh.

Idris' forehead knotted, he's a little pissed by now because Rufus' belittling himself, "Just join us, Rufus." he said in a commanding tone, Rufus tilted his head on his direction and stared at him for a couple of seconds, weighing the temper of his lord.

The man nodded, "If that's what you, my lord..." and after that, Rufus walked silently near him then pulled a chair.

"Very well!" the queen cheered.

"What's the ruckus all about?" asked by a deep-raspy voice of a man, all of them went silent and turned their heads to the king who was walking towards his place.

Max started, "We have a visitor-"

"Lord Idris, you're here! Welcome, welcome!" the king said happily with a grin.

He smiled at the king then nodded at the young man behind the king, his cousin, the royal prince of Dorsten.

The king sat on the head of the table, the queen on his left side, together with the twins, the royal prince on the other side, in front of the queen, while Idris is between the royal prince and Rufus.

"Oh, I remember this fine young man! How is the marquess?" the king asked.

Idris and Rufus' stopped, looks like the king doesn't know that the latter isn't working for one of his subordinates anymore.

"I guess, he's okay, your majesty. But I am serving at the Gastrell's now." Rufus explained.

"The Gastrell's!" the king said in a loud voice then he gazed at Idris, even the twins flinched in their father's loud voice, "You should've worked for me first... so this grumpy man beside me can rest for good." the king said jokingly then laughed, while the man beside him, Max, just sighed. Completely ignoring the king's remarks.

The king received a light slap on the arm from the queen, "Oh dear! Stop teasing, Max!"

The man silently thanked the queen, he got used to the king being a big fool especially around him, teasing him and pissing him off, everyone who knows them are all aware how their relationship is like, not just the pain servant and master type, the two are pretty close since they grew up together and he's serving the king since they were young. People don't know how thankful Max is to the queen, the king was tamed a little because of the woman, all regions could agree how big of a tease the king is, Max can vouch for that since he was the one who's receiving such treatment from the king most of the time. Why doesn't he resign? The pay is high, and his ancestors have been serving the Blueberg for many years now, he doesn't want to tarnish the lineage of the Norman plus he doesn't think someone could be as patient as he is to the king. When the king hasn't met the queen yet, he used to fool around and leave all his work and duties to Max, no one could stop him as he is king, the emperor didn't say much since the king's doings cannot be consider of any crimes, as long as there's a fine ruler in a region the emperor won't say much. Max, as the good servant he is, did most of his master's duties while the king is in his irresponsible state. Good thing he was trained with those kinds of works while growing up, maybe the former king and head steward foreseen the king's attitude toward his duties that's why they chose to train Max instead.

Why don't they strip the title from the king? Simple, he is a Blueberg, a direct descendant of a noble family. He may be irresponsible but his knowledge for war, trading and deals are incomparable, even the queen's brother, Duke Frederick Gastrell learned most of his knowledge from the king when they were young. The king was the brain of the former emperor's biggest battle thirty years ago. That's why the people of the south never made a ruckus about the king's foolishness. He is kind, he just loves to tease people most of the time.