Chapter 25

Idris slammed the door and dropped his body on his chair, he stared at his office's high ceiling while waiting for James and the box to come.

He moved his feet causing the chair to sway a little, he was restless and bored because of the happenings currently. He pushed himself upward after hearing the slow knocks from outside, "Come in!" he shouted before leaning on his table.

James went in first while holding the box with his two hands and then he was followed by Rufus who was still holding a trowel in his left hand.

He's confused for a couple of seconds, but an idea came to his mind when no one followed behind Rufus. This man must be really amazing then? He was questioning himself on what the things were that Rufus couldn't do; he asked himself, since he would never have the courage to ask that from the man

"James?" he asked.

The steward got it immediately and explained, "My lord, I was talking to Rufus earlier about the lock picking thing you mentioned when we were in the underground cell and asked if he knew someone who's good at it but he said that he wanted to try it." James explained and placed the box on the table before moving aside to give Rufus some space.

"You know how to do it?"

"I won't say that I'm good at it, but I'll try, my lord." Rufus then kneels one of his knees on the floor.

"I see."

"I'll leave you two for now, my lord. I'll arrange a letter to the king so we could ask about the bandits' punishments." James stated the bow before storming out of the room.

Idris walked towards Rufus then he tapped the box, "Here it is, you can start."

Rufus nodded a little before picking out a small wire from his pocket, he watched Rufus' actions closely.

The man started to twist the wire after glancing at the hole of the lock, he held it then started to push it in and out, sometimes twisting the wire.

"So, how do you learn this thing?" he asked curiously as he watched the man's big and veiny hands move.

"A friend taught me, my lord." Rufus said in a low tone of voice without glancing at him.

"Is your friend a thief?" Idris busted out suddenly. His eyes widen when he apprehends his own question. Oh, damn my mouth!

He looked away when Rufus stopped, he bet the man got offended, well, who wouldn't?

"Sorry don't mind that, hope I didn't offend you." he said after. So stupid, you're so stupid Idris.

"It's okay my lord, but it is wrong to doubt others, you should be careful next time." Rufus replied. He went silent after that, Rufus didn't sound mad or offended but his voice's cold, it sent shivers on Idris' skin.

"Uhh, okay..." he said like a tamed puppy, this isn't the first time he got scolded from a low-born actually, James did that to him many times especially when he was younger, but this is different. He felt scared for a second, good thing Rufus is not the kind who will harm someone once he gets offended, because if that's the case he'll be a dead meat for sure, Rufus built is way better than his form. I might die if he punches me.

"Anyway, you'll get a salary raise for this month if you open that." he said in a cheerful voice after the bad atmosphere flew out the window.

"It's just a lock my lord, no need for a salary raise."

Idris blinked, "Don't you need money?" he asked carefully.

"I do, but not badly."

And after their short conversation Idris heard a click sound of a metal.

Rufus stands straight before turning to face Idris, "It's done my lord, I should get going-"

"Stay."

Both were surprised with Idris' sudden burst. He was too engrossed with Rufus' appearance while they're talking causing him to spill that word. He felt his cheeks burning so he instantly looked away. All he did was to embarrass himself in front of the man.

He faked a cough, still not facing the man, "I mean... open it for me, the box is dirty and old, I can't be harmed... right?" he whispered. Using my noble stand, once it's fine. Not wrong at all, "But of course, you can go if you still have something to do."

He saw Rufus move a bit using his peripheral vision, "Whatever your commands, my lord. I'll stay then."

Rufus pulled the rusty lock and chains before opening the box, Idris fan near his face when some dust busted out from the box. Rufus flipped the box and Idris roamed around his eyes instantly but carefully, trying to look for the necklace but he found nothing.

He felt sad but Rufus' got his attention when the man picked something.

"Dumas' heirloom pocket watch..."

He raised his brow, "You know that?"

"Yes, this is the heirloom clock that went missing when I was still working under the Dumas household." Rufus explained. He watched Rufus' expression and the man's eyes looked... a little bothered, and he didn't know why but he didn't want to ask.

"Both of us must go visit the marquess and hand it in, in person then?" he suggested, he knows how important an heirloom item is in a noble family, it serves as a symbol. Their family's signature.

"Pardon, my lord?" the man asked in surprise.

"We should visit the south, you were a worker under the marquess, right? And I would be visiting the queen there... my aunt and cousins." he added, to convince Rufus more.

He grimaced when he remembered the kissing scene of the two at the palace. Bet that was the reason why he was surprised earlier.

"But if you're not okay with it then-"

"It's fine... pardon my rudeness from cutting your sentence, my lord. I'll join you in the Dumas household."