Chapter 38

"The present is in the back, my lord. Please be careful on your way, immediately inform Rufus or the driver if you wish to do something..." and James went on and on about his worries and notes to Idris who was busy listening while walking beside the steward.

"Yes, I get it. Thank you, James." he stated then stared in front of him as he saw the familiar man standing beside the carriage's door, Rufus looked exquisite in his suit made by Henry when they visited the middle caste last few weeks.

The man was just standing there but still managed to look good and powerful, effortlessly. The bored eyes of the man went to him, Idris looked away when he felt his ears burning again.

After what happened inside the tailor's office they go back to normal, means, Idris' avoiding any contact with Rufus and the man just kept on low key chasing him, trying his best for them not to be noticed by anyone in the manor. And doing that for weeks became easy since both of them became too busy, especially him, juggling many duties on his hand and Rufus, he's been busy attending and shaping the plants in the garden since the man stopped for about a whole week when they went to the south and his father's wake.

"I'll see you again, my lord." James lowered his head when the wagon started to move, the horses made noises and started to stride when the attendant hit the rope.

Idris' body swayed when the carriage shook a little, he stayed silent as well as the man who's busy glancing at him. They're too silent to the point that he heard the rolling sound of the item inside at the back part of the wagon. The item was packed safely so he mustn't worry, he purchased a rum from overseas after he read the invitation, and it arrived yesterday. A liquor because as far as he knows the king and his people are known to be strong drinkers.

"You look dashing, my lord."

Idris was brought back from his thoughts when he heard the man's praise. He moved his neck and turned to look at Rufus, "Uhm, thank you..." he whispered, "You look good with yours too." he complimented back, he's thankful for the absence of light since it's nighttime already, Rufus won't be able to see his redness.

"Hmm. I'm flattered, my lord." and once again, they went silent for a minute, "Are you sure with this, my lord?" Rufus asked worriedly.

"Yes... and please don't leave my side when I do it. You need to stop me when you think that I'm doing too much." he informed.

"Of course, my lord."

Another thing why he let Rufus to tag along was to stop him, if ever he makes something stupid. He'll surely be carried away since it's a confrontation about his deceased parents that he'll regret the next day after it happens. So, it's better to prevent than to regret. He can't do a reckless action that could taint his name and his father, who left a legacy to the people who know him.

After almost an hour they finally arrived at the main palace of the king. Idris couldn't enjoy and describe the ride since it's too dark, but the front of the palace is beautifully decorated.

"Please, get the present at the back and follow me after." Idris instructed. He walked towards the entrance hall and when the attendant announcer saw him, the man instantly made a noise about his arrival, after that he was guided inside, and the king met his eyes immediately.

"I'm glad that you made it, my lord." the king greeted with a smirk and offered a handshake.

"Thank you for the invitation, your majesty. I hope you'll make it to my inauguration ceremony also."

"Of course! I would spare time for that, my lord." the man stated and glanced behind Idris. "Is he your attendant? he's very familiar..."

Idris glanced at Rufus and was surprised to see how dark and cold the aura of the man was, especially his eyes while staring back at the king, who didn't even falter.

"Greetings, your majesty." Rufus spouted in a deep manner before bowing.

"Yeah, thank you for attending, please take care of your lord." The king said seriously, gone the playful aura earlier.

"Of course, your majesty."

The king raised his chin then nodded, "Very well... I'll be leaving you for the meantime, my lord."

"Sure, your majesty." he answered as he spotted the queen on a corner together with her dame, he gave a look at Rufus and saw how the man was surprised as well since he didn't even expect to see the lady after the commotion they'd done in his manor.

"Your majesty, I wish to have a private conversation with you." Idris stated, completely forgetting his manners to greet towards a higher up. Even the queen herself was surprised with the sudden word of the young lord in front of her. Queen Adela moved her hand, signaling her dame to go away.

"S-sure what do u wish to talk about, my lord?" the queen asked as they started to walk towards the non-crowded corner. Rufus was staring at his lord, weighing the man's temper and actions.

"Just some stuff about the nobility,"

"Yes?" the queen asked confusingly.

"Well, my question is, can a high-ranking royalty get away from ordering to kill a low-ranking nobility." he asked in a hard tone, while staring straight at the queen.

The confusion on the queen's face became deeper, "Well... according to the law that we're currently following, yes they can, as long as they did not do it out of personal interest."

"I see... I guess, that's how you escaped from being punished huh? Aside from the lack of witnesses... or is it because you're the aunt of the emperor?" he stated sarcastically. He was so nervous after he said that a very heavy accusation. He even dragged the title of their imperial majesty!

The queen was caught off guard as well as Rufus and some guests who overheard his sentence.

"My lord!" Rufus butted in.

"My lord, what are you saying?" the queen asked in surprise and confusion with the sudden accusation, the tears were already forming in her restless eyes, "I never harm anyone, please I do not wish to disintegrate our relationship, I was your father's lover, you're like a son to me now." the queen explained.

"A son? You asked someone to kill my mother so you could freely have my father to yourself? And I thought the queen of the east had the purest heart among the other rulers."

"My lord, enlighten me please, are you accusing me of the late duchess' death?" the queen panicked.

"What do you think, your majesty? There was a letter at my father's bin saying that you did it, is it out of jealousy? I am aware that my grandparents never liked you even though you're a queen."

Idris brought up the forgotten issue he just learned a few days ago when he rammed his father's stuff, he confirmed that the issue is true when he saw the queen's hurt expression. His grandparents, his father's parents don't like the queen or any other royal family who belongs to the Hilti-Carnegie lineage, because of the late empress' issue with his grandmother. Who turns out, Queen Adela's older sister? He doesn't really know what's the issue and grudge since it wasn't completely stated in the note he read.

"My lord, that's enough please." Rufus whispered as he held Idris' arm.

Idris inhaled to calm himself and moved his head to see some people looking in their direction with something in their eyes, the nobles obviously making judgements.

The dame ran towards their direction and guided the queen, the woman even glanced at Idris' confusingly, wondering what the young lord did to the queen.

Rufus stayed beside him, and he... isn't content with confrontation at all. No clues, no nothing.