Chapter 50

The two woke up earlier to go to the emperor's palace, even though they slept late last night they didn't look tired. In fact, the two are happy while bathing.

Idris was busy buttoning his shirt while sitting on his bed when the topless Rufus walked towards him while holding an ivory comb on his right hand, Rufus raised his hand and brushed Idris' wet hair carefully, and the duke didn't complain, "This is your day, you will be a king before the day ends. Why are you still serving me?" Idris asked with a smile while watching Rufus through the mirror.

"I will serve you for the rest of my life, your grace."

"Hmm... the emperor won't like that." Idris stated jokingly. But what he said is actually half meant. Everyone in the empire, especially the title holders should swear their only loyalty to the emperor and his empire.

"Serve in a different way, that's what I mean, your grace." Rufus added and gave him a glance in the mirror.

"How different?" Idris asked while wearing his socks.

"The emperor is the emperor, you're the duke and my lover at the same time."

Idris' ears burned, "Your lover!?"

Rufus stopped from brushing the duke's hair and stared at the man with a blank expression, "Your grace, please don't joke around... are we just fooling around then?" Rufus asked with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

Idris laughed, "Of course, we're lovers." He admitted. He was just trying to get on Rufus since the man has been too serious most of his life.

Rufus nodded and walked to open the door when they heard knocks coming from it.

When Rufus finally opened the door, the maid who was waiting outside became stiff, her eyes went wide when she saw the familiar man standing next to the door, "R-rufus! I mean your majesty." the woman greeted before lowering her head.

"Please don't," Rufus helped the old woman to get up when she nearly knelt on the floor, "I am not a king yet... and even though I will be one please treat me like how you treated me before." the man stated.

The maid dropped her mouth, shocked with Rufus' words, "I wouldn't dare." the woman exclaimed.

Rufus sighed and just smiled; he can't do anything about that. He knows how strict the rules are especially with the higher ups.

Even though the maid was wondering what the man was doing in the duke's room, she refrained herself from asking any questions, she didn't want to involve herself any longer, so she just delivered the news that the duke's carriage was outside already, waiting for them.

An hour passed by, and they successfully arrived at the emperor's palace. Idris' heart started to make noise when he saw how many people came to witness the said punishment for the five people. He even saw familiar faces of the nobility who gave him a look of pity.

The emperor's attendant made an announcement as the soldiers dragged the men out, his eyes found James instantly who was in a not so good state, looks like the men were tortured inside the prison already. Idris flinched when he met James' eyes, but he didn't look away. The soldiers positioned the man in front of the thick rope.

Idris gasped when he saw James's mumble something to him, he read it, Forgive me. He closed his eyes and went wide when the thin wood was pulled out by the soldiers.

Rufus wrapped his arms on the duke's head when he saw how the man acted, he knew it, his man was afraid. The baron's body started to convulse so the soldiers decided to cut the ropes, the men tried to catch their breath, the marquess started to cry in front of the many people but all he received was hurtful words.

Rufus saw the three noblemen's family on a corner, crying while watching their loved ones being tortured right in front of their eyes, those family stayed in their position, but they made an oath to the emperor and will make an oath of loyalty later to him as their new ruler.

Rufus nodded at the familiar man who was walking towards them, he let go of the duke so the man could see his friend.

"Rufus." King Roy greeted.

Rufus greeted back and reached for the man's hand when the latter extended his.

"I would like to apologize for all my wrong accusations and wrong doings."

"It's fine, your majesty. We're all framed and fooled after all, I take no grudge, you just chose to protect Duke Idris."

"Yes, he is my only friend, after all. He's like a younger brother to me, we grew up together so..."

Rufus smiled and nodded. He turned his head on the right when he felt someone tapped his shoulder, he saw his friend, Einar Adair, the knight major whom he owes a lot too.

"Your majesty, your grace, this is my friend, Knight Major Einar Adair from the North." he introduced, the man extended his hand to shake hands with the two noblemen. Rufus' eyes went into a slit when his friend didn't let go of the duke's hand immediately.

He was about to kick his foot's friend, but the King called him out first, "Hey!"

The knight smirked, "Oh, sorry about that, your majesty, your grace." Einar stated and gave him a look, Rufus glared at the man, he knew something about him, and the duke and his friend were trying to get on him.

Idris' saw the familiar woman standing near a tree, so he decided to go near the women, leaving the three gentlemen talking about something, "Your majesty." he stated awkwardly, "Uhm... Please forgive me-"

He stopped talking when he felt the warm hands of the woman surrounding his, "How could I hate the son of the man I love? I saw how you grew; you were broken from your parents' death. I completely understand that." the woman said softly while caressing the young man's hand. She's happy to see Duke Frederick's first born well and alive after all the happenings in the man's life.

Idris gave out a sincere smile before looking back at Rufus' direction who was staring at him with adoration.