Chapter 20

"Open the gate!" a guard announced and the two men guarding the tall gate of the Gastrell household opened the gate for the wagon of the lord to enter.

It was past midnight already when they arrived at the manor, their conversation didn't last that long, he felt tired and so did Rufus. Good thing the awkwardness vanished when they were talking earlier making him feel at ease.

And now that the party's over, he should just start to overthink about his missing necklace. It's been a month and some weeks since the burglary happened, and he never heard any updates from anyone about his missing necklace. The criminal is too good for them, he guesses.

Even the emperor sent him some guards, hired an investigator too. But still to no veil.

I should raise the prize a little more... The reward he promised to give is quite high already and if you added the extra reward from his father and the king, you could pass at one of the aristocrats in town already.

They are just waiting for the approval of the emperor to borrow some guards from him to search for the whole kingdom. Because the officials that the other region lent are not that much, especially at the north, they only lent five guards for the whole region of the north. So, finding the necklace is impossible.

"The duke has arrived!"

He turned to the guard who shouted the moment he stepped his feet on the land.

He's wondering why his father arrived too late, which is uncommon.

"Father." he greeted as the duke hopped off from his obsidian horse, "What happened? Why are you rushing? Is there any problem?" he asked, worried sick.

"I'm sorry, son. I can't discuss this with you right now, I really need to go."

"What!? Again? But you just arrived here." he said, still following his father who was walking towards the wagon he just used.

"My lord, please." his father said with a sigh, and he stopped. He knows what that means. His father is serious this time.

"Okay, I understand. Please take care, your grace." he said in defeat.

He's upset, he won't hide that. The past few weeks his father's always in different kingdoms, the north, and the west, mostly in the west handling the trading and more. His father is always busy, yes but isn't this too much? He never saw the duke resting in their manor for the whole month. He's always running some errands.

He wants to scold and stop his father but that'll be disrespectful to do especially if he is going to be a hindrance with his father's duty. Not like I can stop him anyway, he's one busy and stubborn man...

He watched his father enter the wagon until the wagon vanished from his eyes, and the path that they chose... looks like the duke is going to the north. His heart race, his sense cannot be trusted most of the time but this one is kind of different.

Something is not right here.

Well, he shouldn't worry because the North is still under the emperor's hand, but that kingdom is quite different from the other kingdoms, from their rules, people, attitudes, businesses and more. They're hard to please and are stubborn, just like their ruler.

They won't cause any harm towards a nobleman but...

He started to whisper his prayer for his father's safety.

Actually, it's been years since he went to the north, his father doesn't let him handle any businesses there so...

He had minimal interactions with the aristocrats from the north in some events but that's it. And most people he interacted with are very arrogant, intimidating, and cold, just like where they live. The North is actually famous for being the only region experiencing snow.

He, for sure, won't go there because of the snow. Father please be safe.