Chapter 24

Idris opened the door of the shop and without pulling down the head cover of his coat, he went straight to the display clothes near the two men who were busy checking out the cloth while chatting.

He doesn't have any intention to eavesdrop with the two but their voice's not that low either.

"I just hope this won't cause any dispute between the two kingdoms." the shorter man said.

"I agree, our beloved emperor will be mad for sure." the other man stated.

"Our duke and King Balder must make an agreement."

What? Idris turned to the two men who failed to notice him because the two are still talking to each other. He can't be wrong; they only have one duke in their region and that's his dad.

"Excuse me, gentlemen but may I ask more about your discussion just now," he said calmly.

The men turned to face Idris and were surprised to see the duke's son in front of them, "Lord Idris!" the shorter exclaimed in surprise.

"We're sorry, my lord."

"No, no. It's fine I just wanna know about it since my father is involved. I am just worried so please, tell me more details."

The two men glanced at each other with an uncomfortable expression on their face, Idris felt bad for the two but he couldn't help but to be worried for his father more, so he stopped himself from dismissing the two.

"Well, those rumors have been circulating for quite some time now, my lord so..."

"Is it about my father and Queen Adela?"

The taller man scratched the side of his head, "Yes, my lord. The king has his eyes on the queen too."

The door of the tailor opened and immediately noticed the young lord in his shop. He saw the two familiar men and has a clue on what they're talking about together with the noble man since the rumor has been invading their town for days now.

"My lord!" he called, "Gentlemen please..." he signaled the door and the two nodded, they bowed at the young lord and gave a thankful look to the tailor.

"I apologized about that, I shall take responsibility for my customers behavior earlier." the tailor started while guiding the lord in his office, "You should not believe those rumors, my lord. You must ask the duke first."

That's his plan but knowing his dad, he might just make up another lie again, because he doesn't want to worry his only son.

"My lord, do you want to-"

The tailor's words cut short when they heard knocks on the door. The man got up and opened the door before inviting the attendant from the Gastrell household.

"My lord, we must head home first, they caught a burglar who was said to be a robber."

"What?"

"We got a message from the manor, my lord. That man might be the one who stole the heirloom necklace, we better get home so you can look up to it."

He bid his goodbye to the tailor, and they headed home using his carriage and the attendant explained it to him while riding their way back. They got a warning message about it earlier, they said there's a bandit lurking around their region stealing luxury stuff from the aristocrats for months now.

He was so bothered with the news he heard earlier but now he's a little at ease after hearing the news from his attendant.

It has been a month and some weeks since his necklace went missing. This is the news that he's been waiting for.

But his hope died down after knowing that the bandits are selling their stolen goods to merchants overseas.

"Where are the bandits?" he immediately asked after hopping down from the wagon.

"You're here, my lord. Let me guide you." James said then walked towards the underground cell near the manor.

While following James from behind, Idris was preoccupied, he didn't know what to think first, the information he got today was too much. He took a quick glance at Rufus who's currently cutting the grass at the southern part of their garden. Not the time to be curious now, he scolded himself.

They walked down the set of steps until they reached the occupied cell, he saw the bandit wearing a maroon and black suit, chained and dirty sitting on the slightly wet floor of the cell.

He turned his head on the side when he felt pity on the man. Come on, now's not the time to be good.

"Where are his belongings?" he asked.

The guard went to his side while holding a brown worn out bag. They flipped the bag causing the things to be scattered on the floor, Idris examined it but there's no heirloom necklace, until he saw a medium size box. He picked it up, but it's locked. He turned to the man once again and asked, "Where's the key?"

But the man just shook his head.

He sighed, "Just say where the key is, and I will spare you guys." he said.

"But I am not lying. I just found that at Dorsten from the south and took it from this specific manor..." the bandit explained using his rough and groggy voice.

He nodded and signaled the guards to open it using their spear.

They started to hit the box using their spear, but nothing happened.

"Do you know lock picking?" he asked the prisoner, but the man just laughed.

"My mates and I use force and violence when taking things, we don't use the silent method, so what do you think, my lord?." the man asked in a sarcastic way.

The guards pointed their spear towards the man, Idris just sighed but didn't bother to speak. He chose to stay silent and calm.

"Speak with respect, bastard. You'll receive a heavier punishment if you continue your rude behavior towards the lord." a guard warned.

"It's fine, put your spears down now," he commanded. Both guards glared at the gourds before following their lord's order.

The bandit smirked at Idris, "So, the rumors are true about Duke Gastrell son being soft and patient, very far from a typical nobleman's attitude."

Idris ignored the bandits' remark and ordered James, "Ask someone who can open the lock. James, this can't be wrecked easily, the chains are thick and heavy."

James nodded before picking the box, "Yes, my lord."