Chapter 44

Idris' head was clouded by thoughts, completely failing to watch the scenery outside the wagon's window, he didn't even notice that they had arrived already. King Roy tapped his shoulder and gave him a light smile saying that everything will be okay.

Idris went out of the carriage and as soon as he raised his head his eyes were filled by the beauty of the enormous palace of their emperor, his mouth fell open when he saw how many soldiers were scattered around the palace' towers, battlements, bailey and keep. Soldiers are fully covered with their metal armor and heavily armed, unlike in their region the guards have shields and spears, but the people here have lots such as shields, spear, bows and arrows, as well as swords! The people and the palace all look scary.

Four soldiers guided them inside the palace's huge court, and he sat, he bowed when he saw King Terry with his aunt. There are noble people that will serve as a witness with the said trial and those witnesses are the people involved, may be, the victim's family members, friends, and witnesses.

Idris roamed his head to see the others, he turned to look at the others place. The counterpart. He saw the wives of the noblemen from the north, Rufus' friend; Harne, King Balder, even Marquess Ori was there. Their eyes met and he saw the disappointed and annoyed expression from the marquess' eyes.

Two soldiers came in while pulling the chain where the three noblemen were bound. Gone were the luxury and proud stance of them, the soldiers made them kneel on the floor, in front of the emperor's court. A minute later, another two came in while pulling Rufus' chain, the man was just looking on the floor, bruised, blood and shirtless.

Idris looked away when he saw the state of Rufus, dirty and bloody. The man is full of bruises and cuts especially on his arms and back, most are still fresh, even the bandage around his thigh looks worn-out, Idris can tell that no professional aid to Rufus' injury. He failed to see Rufus' face, but he knew that the man was full of bruises and cuts on his face. Idris' heart started to race when he felt the stares of the people around them. He feels like Rufus' allies are judging him.

"The imperial majesty has arrived!" the steward announced making all of them stand.

And there he comes, the one and only Imperial Majesty, who stood 6'3 feet tall, captivating, expressionless and cold as ever. The 26-year-old Emperor has an unusual lightness of skin color compared with the normal complexion of a person, is gracious and fine looking in a dignified way.

All of their heads went down when they heard the emperor's steps. Most people gasped when they saw the emperor wearing his elegant suit and cape. Idris felt chills in his bones when he met the imperial majesty's gaze, he lowered his head when the man didn't pull out his gaze.

He started to feel nervous and King Roy beside him noticed that, so he held his friend's hand to calm him down. Roy is thinking not only him, and Idris felt the chills the moment they saw the young emperor, but all the people inside went stiff. And he proved his thought right when he turned his head to see the stance of the people in the courtroom. His eyes turned to a slit when he saw the tall man beside the emperor whispering something on the latter. Maybe, that is the Knight Commander, the emperor's companion in his every activity, now can he finally prove every rumor about the emperor's knight. So, this is the only man who never loses to our imperial majesty?

Roy was amazed by the man's loyalty towards their emperor. Because if the man has a thing for a throne, he can simply kill the emperor and rule their whole empire. Before he was wondering about those rumors, how could someone beat their emperor and now that he saw the two... he can tell. The knight is taller than their emperor, maybe 6'6 or 7, their emperor is 6'3 tall. The commander's body is broader and well-toned compared to the imperial majesty's body who was leaner than the man. So, these are the deadly duos of our empire then? The master and his strong pet.

Adeodatus sat on the top of the court beside him was the Knight of Knights, the main head, his strong companion.

"I welcome all of you here." The emperor started making everyone flinch, "I, your imperial majesty, Adeodatus Brynjar Hilti-Carnegie, is here to judge the Trial of Ordeal. Swore to be equal with everyone and to give justice. Shall we start?" the man stated in a bored and cold tone.

The emperor sighed, "It's good to see your people in one room huh." he mumbled. And no one dares to speak or even make a random noise. He scoffed and nodded at the man below him, signaling him to start.

"Now, let's start with the saying, 'master who planned everything," Rufus Audrill..." the middle-aged man started while reading. Idris straightened his back when he heard Rufus' name, "A 28-year-old orphan who grew up in an orphanage from the North, father- unknown but your mother was a courtesan from a brothel, still from the North." the man continued and stared at Rufus, waiting for the man's response.

"That's right, my lord." Rufus answered in a throaty voice.

The emperor nodded, "Proceed." he said in a bored tone while examining the papers in front of him.

"Do you withhold the allegations to you about being the initiator of the treason?" the man asked, making Idris look at Rufus. He was shocked, what treason?

"Yes, I refuse, my lord."

"Do you have evidence to prove your innocence?" the emperor intervened.

Rufus looked up to the emperor, "Aside from my stories, I don't have any physical evidence that I can present, your Imperial majesty."

Adeodatus nodded, still looking at the papers, "Then... please proceed."

"The three noblemen from the North, Palace of Bortling, Duke Neil Brown from the Brown Household, Marquess Benjamin Algia and Baron Fernan Javis, did you plan to assault the newly crowned Duke Idris Gastrell on his own household at his coronation night?"

Idris inhaled when he heard his own name. The three noblemen glanced at him and nodded.

"This is horrendous! The duke doesn't even remember anything!" the duchess, Duke Neil's wife shouted.

"Your grace, you are prohibited to give any opinions unless the emperor allows it. Now, you three, did Rufus Audhril order you to assault Duke Idris?" the man continued.

"Y-yes..." the baron answered.

"And why did you do it?" Adeodatus asked.

"He offered us wealth once he succeeded the king's throne."

"Did you do it then, Rufus?" the emperor asked.

"How can I? I only have pennies and a small amount of gold with me that I gained by working under the nobles from different places, your imperial majesty." Rufus answered.

The emperor smirked, "Hmm... Proceed."

-

Hello! Let me explain something here to avoid confusion. I did some research about these and I came up with these three: Trial by Combat, Trial by Jury, and Trial by Ordeal. Since it's the emperor who's going to be the judge, I picked Trial by Ordeal, but this one is also known as "The King's Court" meaning it is commonly or it is really done by the king. I tried searching for more, but I saw nothing, so I used the Trial by Ordeal instead, and under this trial there are ordeals such as by water, fire, poison, combat (same as Trial by Combat) and more. I picked Trial by Ordeal, but I don't know if it requires witnesses, and more so I made my own version. So yeah, if you know something about it, please inform me so I can revise it, that's all. Ciao!