Chapter 28

"We'll be off now, thank you for your kindness." Idris bowed a little, but his eyes didn't fail to follow the marquess gaze towards his attendant. The longing in the marquess eyes' too obvious.

And until the two men rode the carriage, Ori's eyes followed his former attendant.

Idris heard Rufus sighed heavily causing him to look at the man, good thing it's dark already, the man won't be able to know that the young lord is currently staring at him shamelessly. Both are actually offered to stay in the manor for the night since it will take time to go back to the west, they don't have guards with them plus it's night already the attendant is prohibited to navigate too fast. But Idris declined, he even saw in the corner of his eyes how Rufus grimaced. They planned to go straight to his aunt's palace then go home after.

The marquess even offered some spare clothes for Rufus but the latter declined. Idris couldn't forget how hurt the marquess' expression earlier. He felt a little pity for the man, but it was Rufus' decision he doesn't want to interfere between the relationship of the two, being nosy is enough.

And from afar he saw how a guard put down the telescope and signaled the guards who are guarding the gate, the soldier in duty was shocked by the sudden visit of the Queen's nephew, now Idris' just hoping that his aunt's not busy, he reminded himself not to visit unannounced again.

Idris saw the familiar middle-aged man running towards their direction when he hopped down the wagon, "Good evening, Max."

"Greetings, my lord." the man said shortly while catching his own breath. Idris' cheeks turn red, feeling shy and guilty.

"Sorry, I won't visit without the queen's knowledge next time."

The serious man looked at him, "No, my lord. Sorry about my improper greeting, the people are just surprised with your sudden visit, they thought you're with the duke you know..." the man explained, he nodded. Of course, his father isn't only famous in the west and east but also in the south, he just doesn't know about the north though, but the three regions look up to his father so much because of his good leading skills.

"Again, welcome to the Dorsten palace, my lord." Max said then guided the two inside the palace, he signaled to a guard to help Idris' driver for the wagon and the maid to inform the queen and her family about their relative's presence.

The head steward of the palace and Idris continued talking while walking towards the palace's receiving hall, and Rufus followed the two quietly.

The three men heard a wooden staircase making a noise, it was from the footsteps of the queen.

All of them bowed when the queen entered their vision, "My lord, I'm glad that you paid me a visit." the queen said in a soft but high-pitched tone.

"I apologized for my sudden visit, your majesty. I hope you and the king are not busy, though that's a little impossible." Idris stated then chuckled.

"Oh! No worries, it's seven in the evening already, the duties are done for today."

The four people went silent after hearing some noise coming from the other side of the hall, Idris glanced at Max when the man heaved a tired sigh. Even the face and stance of man looks so tired. If he doesn't know anything about the palace, he'll wonder why but since he's been visiting them since he was still a kid, he already knew something.

"Idris!" Two loud voices echoed in the enormous hall, and then the two revealed themselves and jumped on their cousin, Idris who failed to ready his stand and fell on the floor together with the two.

"Ow!"

"My lord!" Rufus who was surprised as well failed to hold his young master, he glanced at the identical twins who were on top of Idris before helping the lord to sit. He's having a hard time helping Idris because the two kids won't even budge from the hug, but he doesn't want to suddenly touch them because it's rude.

He bent one of his knees on the floor and leaned a little to Idris, "His royal highness, Princes of Dorsten, pardon this servant's rudeness, but do you mind letting go of the Lord so he could stand and address you properly?" he asked in a deep but calm voice, Rufus pressed his lips together, wondering if he used the right tone.

The two stared at him for a couple of seconds, "Okay!"

"Thank you, your highness."

They let go of their older cousin, but they stayed beside him, Rufus then helped Idris by holding the smaller man's arm and back, "Careful, my lord." he whispered when Idris nearly stumbled.

The blushing young lord lowered his head when he felt two small and warm hands holding both of his hands.

He gave a warm smile to the two princes who were looking at him with hope in their eyes, "Did you bring him to us, a playmate, Idris?" Aldrin, one of the majesties asked.

He was about to answer but he heard the queen's footsteps getting near their place, "Attendants are not playmates, your highness. And we don't use people as a present for the others, lastly, you should address Lord Idris with his title or call him big brother at least, he is still your older cousin." the queen explained.

"It's fine, your majesty." Idris and Rufus answered in unison, the two looked at each other but the young lord looked away immediately when he felt his ears and cheeks burning.

"So, I guess, you're gonna stay here?" the queen asked while holding the two princes' hands.

Idris gazed at the big clock located at the other hall's entrance and grimaced, now they can't head home, it's too dark outside, for sure bandits are lurking now.

"Yes please, your majesty. There's just one problem, my attendant knew that we're leaving home after greeting you, so he didn't bring any change of clothes with him. No worries for mine since James packed a pair for me earlier. Now, if you don't mind. May I borrow one of your men to take us to the town to buy some clothes, your majesty?"

The queen gasped, "But it's late! Worry not, I'll just hand some of my husband's unused clothes."

Both men were surprised with the queen's reply, "Your majesty! I couldn't wear such an expensive thing... I can go to the town by myself, I know the way." Rufus intervenes.

"No, no. I will never allow that, you may be an attendant of a noble person but you're still a guest from the west... don't worry, those are not that expensive, if you're thinking about that. All are unused cause they're plain and simple... you know the king likes extravagant things even with his clothing." the queen smiled and shrugged, "You seem familiar..."

"I was the head steward of the Dumas household, your majesty." Rufus answered.

"Ah! I remember now, you're that good looking man who was always beside the marquess, he's so fond of you!"

And that made Idris raise his brow, so even the queen knows about that?

"I guess the food is ready, come!" the queen beamed and started to walk, the twins jumped and pulled Max's hands, following behind the queen.

Idris looked at Rufus, I can't even imagine this man following like a dog behind the marquess, all because of the actions he did towards the lad.