Chapter 46

"What is this all about!?" Idris asked towards James who was being held by two men.

"I don't regret anything I've done, my lord." James stated before the two men pulled him in front.

"Now, let me start it again," Adeodatus looked at the furious King while speaking, "King Eurman got mad when the engagement was broken off, that's when he met the head steward, see? It's been years now. The bailiff is known as the late Duke's long-term friend since childhood, who was actually in love with the late duke's deceased wife Duchess Matilde Jironus-Gastrell, Idris' mother. But he was born a peasant and the duchess showed no interest in him. So, he killed the duchess as well as the maid who witnessed it, by poisoning and he framed up an innocent chef, years after that he left a letter at the duke's room accusing Queen Adela with the duchess' death, days after receiving the letter, King Eurman paid a group of bandits to kill the defenseless duke, and we already found those bandits days ago at the border. Now, wanna know how they knew the route of the late duke? It was the steward who sold it to the bandits, yes. He betrayed his friend. My question is, are you planning to harm Duke Idris as well?" The emperor asked while staring at the innocent looking man.

James shook his head, "No, I see him as my own child, that's why I planned to pay off my debt by serving him while I was still free..." he stated as he looked at the restless Idris, but the latter angrily looked away from him.

"Hmm. Going back, King Eurman ordered his noblemen here to assault Duke Idris and give the blame to his illegitimate son, to get rid of him because his son knows a lot of things huh? But of course, he failed miserably. The knight major of the Bortling palace named Einar Adair is Rufus' good friend who recognizes him as the future ruler of the north, the knight major also submitted a report to the palace about the king and his noblemen's wrong doings. King Balder Eurman IV your crimes are, treason, conspiracy, assassination, alteration, deception and many more. The three noblemen, assault, conspiracy, deception, alteration, rape and more. The steward, deception, conspiracy, and treason. The punishment for them is..." Adeodatus lifted his head to witness the criminals' expression as they broke, "Hung, strung and quartered."

Idris and the noblewomen who heard the imperial majesty's command fell into shock, the ladies started to scream and cry as they ranted with the emperor's words.

Idris' stared at James, but the man just gave him a warm fatherly smile before following the soldiers who seized him, no words wanted to come out from Idris mouth, he didn't even know what to feel after all of these happened.

He was betrayed by one of his trusted people, by his second father who taught him, scolded, and molded him into a fine man with values. He wasn't aware about James' intention towards his mother, he saw how caring James was towards him and his mother, but it never crossed his mind that the latter had a different view of the late duchess. He thought that the man was simply doing his duties as the head steward... and not a sneaky killer bastard who will betray him one day. He wants to scream and cry but the information is flooding inside his brain, he can't multitask his feelings.

Hung, drawn and quartered. Is a heavy punishment, can be considered as the heaviest among all the ordeals and punishment. The prisoners will be tortured in public, hang by the neck for a short time, drag by the horse, removal of their insides such as intestine as well their sex organs, lastly, their head will be cut off and their body will be cut off by quarters as well, they'll be put to death publicly.

"Your imperial majesty, please have mercy." one of the noblewomen pleaded as the emperor stood from his seat.

The man stopped and faced the noble ladies with a blank face, "No, those are a lot of crimes... and treason alone is such a heavy crime, you know that. I recognize no noble when it comes to treason. Rufus Audril, congratulations you prove your innocence, stay faithful under my law and you're good." he smirked and walked away.

Idris stood from his seat when the soldiers unchained Rufus, his insides are battling if he'll run to Rufus or just walk away and go back to his manor, his heart is aching just by thinking that Rufus is mad at him, but who wouldn't be? After all those heavy accusations he'd said. He didn't even listen to Rufus when the man was pleading on his knees!

"Let's go," King Roy stated firmly beside him, "I still can't believe James did that..." and so the young ruler started to cuss and rant about what happened inside the courtroom.

Idris, who was drowned in his own thoughts, failed to listen, and understand his friend' curses and sayings.

_

So, yeah, I didn't follow any ordeals that I've discussed in the last chapter, they will all die anyway.