Chapter 7

The steward placed the saddle on the horse's back as he looked upon Idris.

The young lord nodded at James after successfully mounting on the horse's back. James lowered his head then signaled the guard that oversaw the manor's gate.

"Open the gate for the lord!" The guard in charge shouted and two men opened the high gate of the manor.

Idris made a short clicking sound using his mouth and the horse took it as a signal to trot towards the exit of the manor.

While holding the strap using his right hand, Idris reaches the hood of his coat using his left hand to cover his head. Let's try to be unnoticeable.

He gazed left to right trying to find a suspicious man that shares the same physique of the thief.

But all he could see was large trees, old people together with an animal pulling a cart with vegetables on every basket.

He turned to the man when he aligned the horse near him. "Yes?" he asked the soldier in charge.

"I have my men scattered, my lord. We should head this way to the slums." the man said.

He nodded, "Okay, please take the lead, Sir."

The armored man nodded.

As they arrived at the town, he saw a couple of guards sticking a poster on the walls about the missing heirloom necklace together with the huge amount of money as a reward.

Ah, my father is so stubborn.

He's actually thinking deeply, the necklace is a priceless item, anyone who knows about it being priceless could hold a secret auction and sell the necklace with a high price, higher than the reward they can give.

But at the same time, who would be interested aside from the nobles right? Besides, all nobles from different households have an heirloom item. He's hoping that the thief won't sell it overseas because he won't be able to retrieve it.

He doesn't know the rules and regulations overseas, only the emperor and the high-ranking knight go there to have a transaction with other empires or kingdoms. But he went overseas multiple times when he was a kid. Too long.

Hours passed by and still no progress, there's no update from the others at all.

"We should head home, my lord." the head guard said.

He glanced at the sunset before nodding tiredly and hopelessly.

"How was it, my lord?" James asked as he entered their gate.

"No progress," he said dryly.

The steward nodded before looking at the familiar carriage.

His forehead knotted and turned to James with a shocked expression, "The king's here!?"

James nodded shortly as he guided the horse back to the ranch.

He nervously ran towards their manor to welcome and entertain the king who was currently sitting on one the chairs while sipping a cup of tea, "Your majesty!" he greeted and bowed.

"My lord, I heard what happened." the king started, "How are you?"

"Not well, your majesty."

"Right, I'm so silly... to even ask that." Roy shifted from his seat as he signaled Idris to sit beside him, and he obliged.

"So, you visited because you heard what happened?" he asked.

The king stopped midways from sipping and gave Idris a short nod, "Yes, originally I planned to send a letter, but I know you'll be too busy to even read."

"It's your letter, your majesty. I'll be informed for sure."

The man groaned, "I don't want to burden you by writing a reply for me so..." he shrugged, "Now, do you want me to send more guards?"

"Well... I want to say no but yes... hand some of your people please." he whispered.

King Roy raised his left brow after hearing the first part of his sentence, "And why are you supposed to say no, my lord?" he asked with curiosity even though he already knows the answer, he just wants to hear it.

"I don't want to bother you and your guards, of course. It was my fault after all... and it's my necklace so..."

"That isn't just a necklace, my lord. Besides the people will understand, all of them know how important an heirloom item is in every nobility."

Well, he couldn't agree more. What the king said is true, it represents them, it represents the position of their family. Though nothing will change in their position even if they lose the item but still.... A representation. It serves as the signature of a noble family.

"I also heard that your father would arrive anytime soon with a new set of guards. That will be a big help." the king stated.

He nodded. Now he's hoping that someone will find it at least before the weekends, so he can finally sleep peacefully.