Chapter 47

While waiting for their carriage outside the emperor's palace, Idris made himself busy by kicking the small stones near his shoe to relax his mind from the surprises that had been revealed earlier inside the courtroom. King Roy is a meter away from him while instructing his guards with a foul expression earlier.

Roy wants to comfort Idris, but he knows better that his friend's mind is too occupied to even listen to him, his effort will be useless, so he'll just talk to the man later.

Idris tilted his head when he heard the faint sound of footsteps, he moved his head and saw Marquess Ori walking beside Rufus, the marquess handed a long coat to the man and Rufus gladly accepted it. Evan walked past his master and handed a clean towel, and the next move of the marquess made Idris raise his brow irritably. Marquess Ori was wiping Rufus' sweat and blood in a careful manner, and the latter doesn't really mind the marquess' actions!

Idris inhaled intensely before looking away, "Whe...where will Rufus go now?" he asked his friend.

King Roy gave him a quick look, "I don't know? maybe in his home, if he has... or wherever, looks like the marquess and Rufus are close friends."

Idris grimaced after hearing King Roy's response, he didn't like it, obviously. But what can he do? Friends my ass, the marquess wants more than that.

Idris flinched when he met the cold gaze of Rufus, he couldn't handle the man's heavy stare, so he looked at the marquess instead, who continued to wipe the man's face. Maybe the marquess noticed his stare so the man looked at him, the man's lip twitched when he saw Idris looking at their way, so he held Rufus' jaw and turned the man's face to his direction. Marquess Ori was overjoyed to see the dukes annoyed face, but it was cut short when he felt Rufus' intense glare on him,

"Let's go." Idris was brought back to reality when King Roy called him. They walked towards the wagon while the guards were following them from behind, "Are you okay, your grace?" the king asked when they successfully hopped inside the carriage.

"Y-yeah just... thinking."

"If you're thinking about your excess work... I will hand one of my men to help you since your steward... is gone." Roy whispered the last two words. Weighing his friend's expression,

"No... it's fine, I can handle them, your majesty." he said with a small smile, and Roy knows that it is a lie, Idris is still hurting about the issue and betrayal, the man won't be able to focus on his work.

"Then, let my men examine some people to be your new steward, we can't risk your life by hiring recklessly again." King Roy stated in a strict tone so the man wouldn't dare to say no.

Their whole ride going back to the west was quiet, Idris glanced at the seat next to him, James was really gone. He was caught. It feels different riding back home without James, without his trusted steward who guided him since he was still a child. It pained his heart more than the harassment he got from the three noblemen where he was only half conscious.

"Do you want me to help you inside?" the king asked when he got down from the majesty's wagon. Idris shook his head and smiled a little.

"No, I know you're tired and busy, you can go back to the palace now. I'll just pay you a visit." he said before bowing.

The guards opened the gate for him, and he saw most of them look at him with pity. He lowered his head and continued to walk, he didn't even glance at the maids who were gossiping about the recent news. Looks like the people in their household already know what happened. The emperor's messengers are sure quick with their job.

Idris dropped his body on his bed and stared at the high ceiling, a minute after his eyes became watery and his eyesight turned into a blur, while the tears were flowing down from the side of his eyes. He had a hard time controlling his breath as soon as he started sobbing while his shoulder continued to shake. He bit his lower lip trying to suppress the loud sound coming from his mouth, he didn't hear it. He lifted his right hand and wiped off his tears aggressively, but they didn't stop from coming out from his eyes. And he fell asleep with a heavy heart.

Hours after, Idris shifted on his bed and opened his puffed eyes, he felt the dry tears on his face and sighed, he looked outside the window and saw that it's nighttime already, he was about to turn to the other side to continue his sleep, but his eyes caught something familiar at the corner of his veranda.

"What..." he whispered when he saw a man wearing the familiar mask and worn-out clothes. Realization struck him, so he stood instantly and ran towards the glass door before opening it, "Rufus?" he whispered.

The man removed the cover off his face, "Rufus!" Idris shouted and ran to the man and hugged him tightly.

"Your grace."

"Rufus! It's really you," he said when he felt the man's familiar body heat, he dipped his face on the man's clothed chest when he felt his eyes become watery again, "I'm sorry... I'm sorry." he whispered while tightening his hug.

"Please look at me, your grace." Rufus stated but Idris shook his head, still hiding his face on the man's chest. He refuses to look at Rufus, he doesn't know how to face the man, what to react, to say and to do. He's afraid to see the rage in the man's eyes.

Rufus was just staring at the man's action, he stayed silent to calm his duke who was just hugging him, Rufus feasted on the cute sight of the young duke, but he needs to calm the man first, he knew how Idris' mind works, the man must be overthinking a lot by now, "I thought you were mad at me, your grace. You didn't even glance at me when you left earlier." he whispered, trying to catch the man's attention to make him look at him.

The man stopped from shivering, but he didn't lift his head, so Rufus held the duke's waist and carried him inside, Idris moved his face upward, now hiding on the man's neck. He wrapped his legs around the man's waist, "I thought if I prove my innocence, you'll be running back in my arms again. Sorry for keeping such a horrible secret, even I am ashamed of it." Rufus whispered when they finally entered the duke's room.

Rufus just kept on talking, asking for forgiveness even though the man didn't do anything. Idris is becoming more guilty in every second, so he decided to speak already, "None of them was your fault," he said and faced the man.

"Hmm." Rufus dropped him carefully on the bed.

His cheeks turned red when an idea came inside his head, he's shy but he badly wants to do it so, "Will you kiss me now?" he asked.

Rufus' expression was priceless, he was to shock with the duke's question, but he composed himself immediately and released a deep chuckle before lowering his head to meet the duke's lips.