Chapter 26

"Take care with your short journey, my lord. I'll handle the rest from here." James recalled as he walked the young master towards the wagon, Rufus' following behind them as they spoke.

Rufus was holding the customized box where they placed the heirloom pocket watch, Idris requested for that box immediately an hour after they found the watch, he ordered someone to clean it too and after two days both the box and watch came safe and presentable.

Both men rode inside the carriage silently, Idris stared outside the window watching the beautiful scenery outside, most are brown and not green, very far from the sceneries in their region, the South is known for their brown hills and delicious delicacies.

He gasped when they passed the bridge that connects the west to the south, he stretched his neck to have a better sight of the brown hills, his eyes became brighter because of amusement, the hills never failed to amaze him since he was little.

They passed the palace and went to the east where the Dumas manor's located. They'll just pay a visit later after they finish their purpose.

"Open the gates!"

The guards went to their positions when they saw the lord's wagon approaching near the household where they serve. The head attendant of the marquess walked towards the door of the receiving hall, waiting for the duke's son to arrive.

"Lord Idris Gastrell, it's a pleasure to have you here in the Dumas household. I'll guide you to the marquess' office, he's been waiting for you guys." the young man greeted before looking at Rufus and then to the box that the man's holding.

Idris roamed his eyes around, appreciating the cleanliness and beautiful structure of the manor, their manor's way bigger but the marquess' lot is pretty big too, even the plants around the household are very lively.

"It's nice being here in your manor too." Idris said to the familiar attendant, it is the young man he saw in the king's banquet before. The one who's always following the marquess.

Too young to be a head steward of a household but anyway... if the marquess' trust him then.

He's not against the idea of having a young head steward in a household but he just thought it's actually possible, to have one, most head attendants he met from noble families are either middle aged or old men. James' the same age as his father.

The three men started to walk while being toured inside the household, Idris' not surprised after seeing a bunch of expensive items being displayed inside, Marquess Ori's from an old rich family after all. And his title explains it all.

He even saw a couple of maids glancing at Rufus with a shocked expression, if the situation is normal he'll think that the maids are admiring him but their expression is... a bit different, it's weird. The latter didn't bother to glance at anyone though.

Evan made a soft knock on the marquess' door and waited for the marquess' response, "Come in, Evan!"

The man opened the door for them and there he saw the marquess with a side smile while standing straight in front of his table, "Welcome Lord Idris! I immediately opened the letter when I read it was from your household. The clock's been missing for a couple of months now. I'm so glad you found it, I'll help you sign a report for the bandits' punishment to make it stronger so they can be punished instantly."

"Thank you for the courtesy, your lordship." Idris said he turned to Rufus and gave him a nod, the man understood the action and went near the marquess before placing the box on the table.

The marquess' eyes never left Rufus until the man went straight behind his lord.

And the young lord didn't fail to observe that.

"You can check the item, my lord." he said.

The marquess glanced at him before smiling, "Of course, my lord. Evan please."

The young lad obliged and opened the box carefully before picking up the precious pocket watch using his both hands.

The marquess' eyes glinted with an unexplainable expression as he saw the long lost watch of their family.

"It's finally here, I can guarantee that this one is our heirloom item." Ori turned to them, "Inform the maids to prepare the feast, we'll go down in a minute." Ori ordered. Evan gave a light nod before storming out of the marquess' office.

"We don't want to bother you anymore. I want to decline but I don't want to be rude so... and besides you shall spend some time with Rufus since he's your former employee." Idris stated and smirked a little.

Rufus turned his head to his master, a little surprised with the man's remarks. His expression says' what are you trying to play here, my lord. But of course, the two oblivious men didn't read that. More like, he didn't let them read that.

What Idris said was true, he doesn't want to look like a rude nobleman for declining a feast especially prepared just for them, aside from that, their journey earlier is quite long, Rufus might be hungry by now. I want to taste the foods too, I won't lie. After all, the delicacies here's one of the things that he was aiming for.

He also wants to see how things will turn out this time, he's not the only one who's gonna eat but his curiosity too, he's gonna feed his curious mind some information about Rufus' sudden resignation in the household and of course, the relationship of the marquess and Rufus.

He's being nosy this time but he won't mind anymore. Now I'm getting more curious about why Rufus chose to leave the Dumas household. Marquess Ori seemed to be fond of him, knowing that they had kissed back in the palace.