Chapter 32

Both men were silent after Rufus' last reply, their conversation was cut short when the young lord didn't come up with any reply, they just stared outside, appreciating the pride of the south, their hills.

Idris became sleepy but he's fighting it, he doesn't want to sleep, he still needs to finish some work before he can doze off, he can't slack off this time, his one-day absence affected most of his works, he does not wish to bother James anymore.

But his drowsiness went away when he saw the people outside their manor having a commotion, the maids, guards and even James were shifting from their places, some were shouting and crying. He became uneasy and Rufus noticed that the man looked outside as well. When their carriage stopped, Rufus pushed the door open and went outside, he looked at the worried young lord and didn't leave his side because he knew that something was going on, something wasn't right.

"My lord!" James exclaimed.

Their servants look at their place, most are staring at him with pity in their eyes, some are looking down or looking away, and that made Idris nervous, his brows met out of confusion, "What the hell is happening?" he asked.

James glanced at Rufus and nodded, the latter got that instantly and went beside their employer before holding his arm, "I think we should head inside first, my lord." Rufus whispered in his ear.

Idris nodded and they went inside, Rufus' didn't leave his side. And when two maids opened their door, he fell on his knees when he saw a sight go inside their hall, "My lord!" Rufus' shouted and immediately helped him to stand.

The man held his arms and waist, no matter how Idris wanted to stand on his own he couldn't, the pain in his back from last night made it even harder.

He failed to even swallow the lump in his throat when he saw the expensive black arrangement of the curtains and a black casket in the middle. He didn't want to assume anything at first but their small family group and the huge portrait beside the coffin confirmed his conclusion.

Tears started to form in Idris' eyes and a sob escape from his mouth, the steward and gardener who's supporting him behind stayed silent, they comforted the grieving young master on his father's sudden death.

"What happened!?" a familiar voice of a man boomed in the huge hall of the receiving area, everyone lowered their hands except for the grieving man in the middle, "So sudden... why is it like this?" the king who made his entrance asked.

"My lord..." James called out, he turned to face James, "Please calm down first my lord..."

"How can I!? my father's dead." Idris spoke.

"As for the guards who investigated..." The king started after dismissing the guard who explained a quick news, "They saw your father dead together with his men, some had been shot by an arrow and your father... was stabbed to death..."

"Where?" Idris asked in a silent voice.

"Near the bridge... between Gundam and the palace of the emperor."

"How did this happen? my dad is a careful man; he has lots of men with him..."

"It looks like someone plotted it, my lord. The king and I also believe that there are also bandits involved since most items of the duke in his carriage went missing." James butted in.

"I don't understand how... The emperor's men are scattered throughout the whole empire..." Idris replied cluelessly while wiping his tears.

"The emperor is currently on a sea trip. We have already sent the news to him and are waiting for some of his men to help us take down the suspect in the crime. This is a big punishment waiting for those people... they harm a noble man and civilians... justice will surely be served, my lord." James added.

King Roy signaled Rufus to help the lord upstairs first while the king would entertain the people who came for the duke.

"My lord, you should change your clothes first... or rest." Rufus suggested.

"No." he hardly declined.

"Then should I help you change your clothes?"

"The lord has no strength to get up." James butted in.

King Roy was about to help him, but Rufus spoke instantly, "I can carry him upstairs your majesty. Seems like some noblemen are looking for you there."

The king glanced at the direction where Rufus saw the couple of noblemen, "Yes, you're right."

Rufus carried Idris in a bridal style way, and the latter didn't utter a word. Rufus sighed a couple of times while heading to the lord's room and the lord failed to notice all that.