Chapter 11

Idris stopped from reading the letter when he lifted the light cup using his right hand, he looked at it and noticed that he had already finished his drink.

He placed the letter on the table before storming out from his office while holding the cup in his hand, he even saw his dad and some guards talking, more like his dad was scolding some guards.

The scowl on his father's face was gone when he faced his worried son, "What's happening?" Idris asked.

"Just a problem with trading in the west..."

"Will you go?"

"Yes, my presence is needed. I need to handle it personally."

"I see, your work then..."

"Yes, please, ask for James' help if you're struggling with mine. The banquet, just send my regards to the king. I might stay there for a week or two, I don't know, until I fix the problem, I guess." his father said then ran towards.

"Take care, father..." he whispered when the duke successfully got into the carriage.

Aside from being a duke, Frederick Gastrell is also considered as a senior adviser in the whole empire because of his experiences as a leader, he could even get promoted by the emperor if he wish too but the duke doesn't want to let go of his title, and the presence of the duke at the east is important, most rulers of the east are females, widowed women, who mostly, lost their husbands during battles, it's not that they couldn't control the happenings in their kingdom. The duke's leadership is different from theirs; they don't rely on others which is good and bad at the same time, good because they know how to stand on their own and bad because they lack communication and connections with other people from different regions. Besides it's his dad's expertise, trading and communicating.

"Hope he won't forget to send my regards to the queen..." he mumbled.

He moved his eyes when he heard a familiar footstep coming in his direction, "For sure not, my lord. Do you need anything?"

He reached for the teacup James' currently holding and then faced the steward, "Call a tailor and let them get your size, you should go with me to the banquet cause father won't be able to make it."

James sighed before looking at the young master's eyes, "Apologist, I'm afraid I can't grant your command, Lord Idris."

The lord raised his left brow as he glanced at the steward beside him, "And may I know why? What's the reason behind you declining?"

"Sure, my lord. I have lots of duties left and I can't finish all of those within four days. All are important and need to be finished."

"What duties?" he asked even though he already had a clue.

"Duties left by your father, I need to visit some noble households to give away letters, personally, so I can talk to the head of the house, lastly, you know, trying to gain support for the orphans in the middle and lower caste."

The lord nodded, "Right."

"If you want, my lord... I can order Rufus to join you."

"The gardener?" he whispered, waiting for confirmation.

"Yes. He can assist you to the banquet, my lord. That man has the knowledge, and he knows how to act in front of a noble person, he was a head steward from a noble household before."

And another piece of information surprised him, he was wondering why Rufus chose to be a gardener in their manor when he was appointed to such a high position in a household before, he's thinking if it was the man's wage? Abusive employer? And those thoughts made him annoyed a little, guess because he might be right, most noble people are arrogant.

His tongue was itching to ask the steward who was the last noble person Rufus worked for, he wanted to know the surname of that family, but he didn't, of course, he didn't want to sound and look nosy, he promised himself not to pry with others business anymore.

"If he is available on that day then..." he stated before walking towards their stairs, "Please send him to my office so I can discuss things with him."

"Yes, my lord."