Chapter 35

A week after his father's funeral Idris successfully cleared his head and now that he thought about his duties and problems, his head is starting to ache already. First, of course his main priority for now is about his father's killer. Second, the missing heirloom necklace. Third, the inauguration and lastly, his and his father's duty where most got delayed since the sudden death of his father.

The young lord is bombarded by his duties, one reason why he can't join their men in search of the duke's killer but he's thankful since the aristocrats and the noble people offered their men for help. James' receiving letters and reports from time to time, the guards are giving them head ups or updates about the possible suspect and more.

While sorting out the letters, Idris eyebrow twitched when he saw an unfamiliar elegant seal, he picked it up and examined it closely before flipping the letter. His mouth gaped open when he saw the letters below. It's from King Eurman, he unsealed it then pulled his letter out, "Come in!" he shouted before even opening the letter when he heard slow knocks on his door.

Rufus went inside while pushing the trolley with some food on it, "Is there a problem, my lord?" he asked when he saw the scowl on his lord's face.

"No, besides why are you here and not in the garden?" he asked before dropping the letter.

"Well, James noticed that you aren't doing well, my lord. So, he commanded me to attend to you. The majesty also asked me a favor when I was taking a break so..." Rufus explained.

Idris left brow lift, "You were taking a break? You could have said no."

Rufus stayed silent.

Idris flicked the letter using his index finger and it opened, his eyelids closed a little when he started to read the king's letter, it's an invitation.

The people of the north are going to hold a celebration because they caught one of the most wanted pirates not only in their empire but with others too. So, it's really a celebration after all. Pirates are the real pests in their empire, in the four regions not the bandits with smaller groups.

Threatening the people, aristocrats, and people from the middle caste most of the time, for some money or expensive belongings, stealing stuff from stores and vendors. Little crimes compared to the pirates who kill, threaten, steal, and kidnap noble people in exchange for some wealth. They love to torture people too. They're the big threat next to the other empires who wish to bring down the emperor from his position.

"Where's James?"

"I saw him at the grace's office, cleaning up."

Idris started to think if he'll accept or decline the king's invitation but was cut short when James barged into his office while catching his own breath, holding a crumpled paper in his right hand.

"My lord, I saw this in the bin, it seems important."

Idris' forehead knotted then reached for the paper before reading it, written in bold letters, rushed handwriting it stated that, Matilde was killed, she was poisoned, the queen framed it up, the maid was killed too because she's a witness.

And Idris' world stopped after reading the sentence. He knows that his mother was poisoned by the chef- yes, but the paper said that it was the queen who commanded, maybe, she framed up the chef or the chef is her ally, she took advantage of the chef's life lowliness.

He doesn't want to believe it but something inside him is saying otherwise, he built the puzzle of conclusion in his head and came up with, maybe the queen has a thing for his father even before... that's why she decided to get rid of the duchess.

He flipped the letter to know who the sender was but there's nothing.

He massaged his temple and tried to remember the story the maid used to tell him when he was young, his grandparents, are friends they made a deal to marry off their son and daughter to each other to strengthen their families bond as well as their friendship and power, even though his grandparents from his mother's side are considered foreigners with a title, since their children were both single at that time, the marriage went smoothly without any problem... At that time, the queen, and the king's relationships at risk as per King Terry's story. Now, Idris' question is, did his father and the queen have a relationship before? The murder... is it out of jealousy?

Rufus rushed towards Idris' direction when he saw how the man's shoulders started to shake, as if he's crying... or because of anger?

He took a quick glance at the letter, "Let's not assume that for now, my lord." he said in a calm tone, but the lord's action showed otherwise.

"You want me to calm down?" Idris asked furiously, "Both of my parents were killed!" he busted.

Rufus went silent after his young lords burst, he stayed silent but the words in his eyes were quite noticeable. James saw that but the furious lord failed to see the message in Rufus' eyes.