Chapter 40

Two weeks after the duke's wake, the people from the palace of King Roy went to Gastrell household to help the people in their preparations for the hall as well as the young lord who will be repositioned as the duke this time. Instead of doing the inauguration at the palace of the king, Idris made a request to do it in their manor to give honor to his deceased father. Since a place is no big deal and he is friends with the king, King Roy allowed the young lord's wish.

The plants and grass in the garden are neatly trimmed, they were all fully furnished yesterday by Rufus before the man asked for a quick leave last night, saying he'll be back before the inauguration ends. When Idris asked the reason why Rufus suddenly asked for a leave, the man said he'll go visit the orphanage where he grew up and meet a friend. Idris was bothered the whole day and night wondering if Rufus would meet the girl, named Harne. The one they met at the middle caste before. That's why he couldn't focus on talking to the elders about his duties and more.

James saw how restless the young lord was so he entertained the newcomers in the hall, preventing the young man from meeting the nobles as far as he could. If Idris keeps on going like this, he'll gain a bad impression from the guests and that's not good since he needs to gain connections and power.

"Greetings, ladies, and gentlemen..." James started the introduction process while glancing at the bored young master who was still hiding behind the curtains. James sighed and opened the letter from their beloved emperor, "I, your Imperial Majesty, Adeodatus Brynjar Hilti-Carnegie, apologized for my absence for today's inauguration of our Lord Idris Gastrell of the Gundam Palace from the West. I am sending my regards to him and to everyone who will attend and witness the lord's coronation. On behalf of me, King Roy Albrecht, the ruler of the west will enthrone the said lord as the new Duke of the west..." After James read the last remarks of the emperor's letter the guests cheered and had a quick toast for the imperial majesty.

"And now, I present to each and every one our beloved Lord... Idris Gastrell!" Everyone started to applaud the man as he descended from the stairs where the king was waiting together with the elders beside him.

Idris roamed his eyes trying to look for the familiar man to lessen his worry and nervousness. He's anxious because all eyes are on him, he's experiencing it for 22 years and yet he's still not used to it. He saw King Balder with his subordinates, his aunt and her family, Marquess Ori... even Queen Adela and her dame is here too, but he didn't saw Rufus,

He was enthroned and all, but the man never showed even his shadow. Idris was furious and sad at the same time, he longed for the man's presence since this coronation is one of the important events in his life and he wants Rufus beside him while celebrating.

He was so pissed so he just drank the strong liquor brought by some nobles earlier.

"Congratulations on your successful event, your grace." King Balder greeted when he walked up to the drinking duke.

Idris grimaced, still not used to his new title, "Yes... Thank you, your majesty."

"Hmm..." the king drank, without removing his gaze to the newly crowned duke, "But you seemed down, why is that?"

Idris only gave an unsure smile and reached for the glass handed by the baron who suddenly showed himself beside him, "Hope you still remember me, Duke Idris. Here's toast, please drink it. Let's celebrate your night, shall we?" the man spouted.

He nodded and tried to get along by drinking the glass even though his head started to spin already. The marquess handed him another one when he finished the glass, he wanted to decline because the hot liquor was climbing up in his throat but he didn't want anyone to make them feel bad so he chugged it, "Never knew you can drink this strong, your grace. We would like to talk to you in private. You know about the trading of stuff, one of your father's unfinished works with us before." the duke stated.

"Well, someone is calling me there, so I'll be leaving you with these gentlemen, your grace." the king said and walked away.

The three shared a look before helping the drunk duke in a hall to look for an unoccupied room far from the hall where the banquet was located.

The nescient duke didn't bother to throw a fit or stop the men when they dragged him somewhere, he's busy minding his burning abdomen, spinning head and blurry eyesight... his body's starting to itch too, and he doesn't know why. He wants to call James and asks to ready his bath, but the steward is nowhere to be found, he saw the man earlier entertaining his guests since he is absent minded because of Rufus absence.

"You seem hot, your grace. Mind if I take your coat off?" someone whispered in his ear.

He opened his dry mouth and whispered, "W-wait..."

His voice was drowned by the men's laughter and conversation. He can't see them clearly, but he is sure that the men are around him.

He felt someone lifted him and... undressing him? He is not sure since his body is starting to feel numb.

One thing is for sure, he is in danger.