Chapter 6

"Go to the slums!"

"Inform the other kingdoms about the news!"

"The duke will give a reward!"

Idris closed his eyes tightly after hearing the commotion outside, he couldn't sleep- No, he didn't even sleep. He's thinking about the thief and his necklace.

After shouting last night, he successfully alarmed the people in their manor, but it was too late, after he explained what happened, the steward, James immediately held a meeting with the soldiers, even though his father called out the other nobles earlier, informing them about the missing heirloom necklace and asking for their help to find it. And of course, they obliged, no one would dare to say no to the duke.

Idris huffed and decided to take a shower and helped the guards to find it. I can't just stay and relax...

He massaged his temple and headed inside his bathroom, he stared at the mirror and his forehead knotted when he noticed the visible dark circles under his eyes.

He just shook his head then finished his bath before heading out. He picked a simple set of clothes since he isn't going to any aristocrat events today.

"Can you elaborate it again, my lord?" the head chief asked, his father nodded at him signaling that elaborate the story more and give all the details of the thief that he noticed.

"Uhm... I saw him when I finished showering, he's tall and muscular, fully covered, same with his face..."

"Fully covered? This case will be hard, did you perhaps see his eyes, my lord?" I did... they're dark shade of gray.

"N-no..."

Idris was nervous and confused, why can't he say it? He saved you from falling last night, his rationale defended.

He doesn't understand. He can't understand at all.

Or you just don't want him to be punished because you felt something strange that you never felt from someone before?

And that stunned him, he slapped himself mentally trying to sway all his weird thoughts while being interviewed with the chief.

Punishment in the whole empire is quite heavy and... deadly. They get tortured to death, especially when they harm a high ranking noble. In Idris' case, he was so sure that the strange man was a peasant, judging his appearance, and he is the son of the duke. The future duke. It will be heavy for sure.

Crime like theft isn't that heavy compared to the other crimes like treason or assault, some can even get away from it, they just either cut a finger off or imprison the person for years but since he's a lord, a future high ranking noble the punishment's either lifetime imprisonment or... Impalement, where the criminals get stuck through a large sharp object, this is a common punishment for women who're caught molesting a child.

Since he is still a Lord, if a criminal is caught it will go under the Trial by Jury, or the Manorial Court where the steward will be in charge or act as the judge... and the criminals' co-peasants will vote if he's to be considered guilty or not.

But since he's friends with the king, the latter won't let it slip. For sure. King Roy knows how much he adores and cares for the late duchess necklace. Trial by Order or King's court where it can undergo three different ordeals.

And he won't let any of that happen. That's why he wants to go to the slums personally to find the thief, he's escaping from a big issue. He wants to catch the criminal on his own.

"Do you want me to hire more guards, my lord?" his father asked.

"No, it's fine but I want to join the others, your grace."

His father nodded, "Whatever you want to do, my lord. Please take care of yourself."

"Yes, your grace." and then he faced the steward who was waiting for his signal, "Ready my horse."

"Yes, my lord." James lowered his head before storming out of the hall.

The chief bid goodbye and the duke assisted the chief outside the door before he headed towards his bothered son.

"Are you sure about this, my lord?" the duke asked worriedly, "I can just ask more troops from the king."

"Yes and no thanks, your grace."

"Even if you say no... the king will know it eventually." his father whispered.

"I'll be off now." he said when he saw his white horse and James's walking towards the gate's entrance.