Chapter 9

"Everything's ready, my lord." James said after he lowered his head, he assisted the lord while wearing his long coat that he will use for today.

"Thank you, I'll be back shortly, please sort out the letters in my office first." he ordered, James nodded as he opened the door of the carriage.

He walked in and sat at the right seat of the wagon before giving a small nod at the attendant who'll drive the carriage. He leaned on his seat when he felt the wagon moving.

He wearily stuck his elbow on the edge of the seat then placed his chin on his palm while looking at the scenery outside. His eyes were occupied by tall green trees, green with a touch of brown and yellow grasses, and mountains from afar.

His mouth gaped a little when he saw a familiar back of a man walking. Wearing a worn-out worker's boots, ragged clothes and a dark coat, he tilted his head before knocking at the glass window to get the attention of the attendant.

"Do you need something, my lord?" the man asked after Idris opened the glass window of the carriage.

"What is he doing? Why is he walking? Ask him to tag along with us if he's going to the town." he asked and pointed at the man.

The attendant looked at Rufus and then back to the lord, "Sure, my lord."

After that the man maneuvered the horses and called Rufus' attention and after a minute of convincing the attendant looked at Idris nervously.

The face of the attendant made Idris angry because he already knows what happened to their conversation. He pointed to the door of the wagon and the attendant nodded before stopping the horses, he opened the door for the lord and assisted him.

"Hey!" he shouted at Rufus' who didn't bother to stop, "Hey! I'm calling you!"

The attendant ran after Rufus to stop him, Lord Idris was always calm and kind to them he never saw the lord upset or mad about something or someone, well, that's because no one treated him badly before. And he isn't ready to see a raging lord, that's why he stopped Rufus.

Idris saw how Rufus heaved a sigh before turning to face him, "What can I do for you, my lord?" Rufus asked in a deep voice that sent chills in the lord's system.

"Hm. Get in, you're going to the town, right?" he asked kindly, backing down from his attitude earlier.

"I can walk, my lord. I don't want to taint your carriage." he replied in a bored manner after glancing at the wagon.

Idris stopped himself from gasping after hearing his voice for the second time now. That would be embarrassing. And he doesn't want to embarrass himself for the second time, yesterday's happening is enough for him.

"I don't mind, just... Just get in." he commanded.

The man stared at him for a couple of seconds before glancing at the nervous attendant beside him, "Sure, my lord." He silently walked towards the carriage and opened it for the lord before getting in.

Idris sat in his original place and the man sat across from him... so far. That offended him a little. Do I smell bad? Does he think I am sick? Not that I want him to squeeze here in my place... just... I feel like I have the flu or something... Or... the typical nobleman who hates peasants like him?

He didn't bother asking since the man isn't looking at him anymore. The air inside the wagon is kind of awkward but no one wants to start a conversation, no one bravely tries.

He stared at the man's serious face. How can a low-ranking man be this cool?

Now he's starting to believe the saying that you cannot get everything that you desire. But he doesn't want to say life's unfair cause he'll sound ungrateful, the low lifers might laugh at him, he's good looking, yes but not many enough, he guesses being in a position and being rich pulled it all together. Still a better life for him compared to the others who are struggling with their everyday needs.

Idris gets sleepier as minutes pass by, and he doesn't want to fall asleep while there's a stranger in his carriage, he's afraid the man would make fun of him, so he tries to open a topic, "So, you're going to the town for?"

The man looked at him before shifting on his seat, "Garden tools and materials, my lord." he answered.

He nodded, but still not satisfied so he talked even more, "Why? There are people that shop every day for the manor, why not ask them instead?"

The man inhaled before talking, "I know where and what to buy good products for the garden, my lord."

"I see..." he whispered, thinking about what topic to open next until they arrived at the middle caste.

"How about you, my lord?" even the voice's so hot...

That shocked him a little, he was surprised that the man was trying to be approachable now, like he didn't get ignored yesterday.

"Like what you've said... I know where and what to buy. I don't want to bother the tailor by calling him so..." he shrugged.

It's true, he can just call his father's tailor or the tailor at the middle caste, but he doesn't want to bother the old man, besides he isn't the only customer of the tailor, even though he's considered a VIP since he's an aristocrat, nobleman at that. He can order anyone easily, without any hassle. He can get everything he wants without exerting an effort, he can just snap his finger and say something to the people around him to follow. But he doesn't want to do that. He swore not to do that. He'll never abuse the power that he holds right now. There are enough arrogant and boastful aristocrats alive that he doesn't want to add himself.

Well, guess, at some point we do share the same views. I'm moved.