Chapter 36

The king's invitation to Idris didn't help at all, there's only a small chance that the queen will attend it, minding their last encounter in the Gastrell household. Meaning, Idris won't be able to confront the queen. And the young lord is still battling if he will confront the queen or not, but since he was the one who's affected the most in their situation he can't help but to overthink and accuse the queen.

After a few hours of thinking, Idris finally made up his mind, he will confront the queen, just the two of them, if the woman will attend. He honestly doesn't want to attend but he needs to gain connections to strengthen the relations his father left to him. Besides, only the queen could answer his curiosity.

He descended from the stair's half running, he glanced at Rufus who's having a serious talk with James, he walked past the two before speaking, "Ready the ride, I'm going to the tailor."

Both men turned to him with a surprise reaction, James turned to Rufus and gave him a nod before running to attend to Idris who's waiting outside for his carriage.

Rufus rushed outside when he heard the steps of the horses, he walked towards Idris and stopped when the lad gave him a look, "You're going to attend, my lord?" Rufus asked, the concern in his eyes' visible, Idris was amazed seeing something other than coldness in the man's expression. Rufus started to open to him when... that happened.

"Yes..."

"But the letter just now..." James butted in.

"I'm not going to start any commotion, do not worry, I'll bring Rufus with me while you're busy doing my father's unfinished works."

"Pardon, my lord?" Rufus asked in surprise.

"You can say no if you don't want to."

"Of course not, my lord." Rufus grimaced.

Idris raised his left brow before cocking his head, "Then, let's get going." he announced and hopped inside the wagon.

Rufus gave a look at James, and the latter just nodded, saying they should just follow the lad's order silently.

Both guys inside are silent for the first half of the ride to the middle caste, Idris sees how Rufus fidgets on his seat, looks like something is bothering him, "Are you really sure about this, my lord?" and there it is.

Idris creased his forehead, he' not used to Rufus being so concerned, curious and... talkative in Rufus' level. It's like the man gave up his cold dominance, did they switch? He's not sure. But surely, Idris likes this side more. Rufus' easy to read unlike before... he doesn't give any ounce of concern to him; he's being ignored most of the time.

"I am very much sure."

"I'm just worried about you, my lord," Idris leaned on his seat then looked away when he felt his cheeks burning, why is he the one who's embarrassed!? Rufus is such a shameless bastard!

Idris inhaled slowly and spoke after he composed himself, "Don't be, why are you so worried anyway..."

"It's normal to feel worried with someone you like, right my lord?"

Idris' mouth fell open as he stared at Rufus, the man has no shame in his face at all, he doesn't feel any kind of embarrassment unlike him. And Rufus released those words like they're normal things to say!

Idris' wondering if the man is simply confessing to him, he doesn't want to ask because it's not that simple! Plus, he doesn't want to assume things. Now's not the right time, either.

"Please say something, my lord."

"W-what do you want me to say?" he asked nervously while avoiding the man's gaze.

"Did I surprise you with my sudden confession?"

"Y-yeah, why so sudden." Idris admitted.

"I'm sorry for not reading the room but I can't wait for another day just to confess."

And even though feeling shy and embarrassed, Idris boosted himself and asked, "So... when did it start?"

"So... you're interested?"

"What? - No! You shameless bastard!" he shouted. Rufus was amazed to see and to hear the lord cursed out loud for the first time. Idris, in his eyes, is always so stiff, prim, and proper.

Idris faked a cough and composed himself, "Hmm... sorry about that. And yes, I am interested... with the story I mean."

Rufus gave out a low laugh, "Are you low key rejecting me, my lord?" the man asked but didn't sound offended.

Idris' eyes widened, "What? No!"

"Pardon my words, my lord. But are you interested in me then?"

He looked away, "I still don't know..."

"Hmm I see, at least I didn't get rejected. I hope you will not reject me in the future... but if it's about your title, honestly, I am kind of worried, but I completely understand."

"It's not that! That won't be an issue... I just want to explore my sexuality more." he said in a low voice.

Rufus stared at him before giving him the lightest smile he needed for the day.