Chapter 27

"I'll just breathe some air outside, my lord. If you'll excuse me both." Rufus said in a deep polite tone after lowering his head with the two noblemen. Both guys stared at Rufus until he went out in the manor's veranda.

Evan signaled the maids to serve the food and after a few steps he spotted the two gentlemen talking about something, he walked near his employer and excuse himself, both turned to look on his way. He moved a little closer to Ori and whispered something, the latter nodded before glancing at Evan.

Ori sighed before turning to face Idris, "If you'll excuse me also, my lord. Just a minute."

Idris nodded as a sign of approval and sat on one of the chairs of the long table, Evan moved to pick the jorum on the table, "Have a tea, my lord." he said then poured half of it on the expensive ceramic cup.

"Thank you." Idris mumbled; he sniffed the faint aroma of the Granatus tea that was served to him. He held the side of the cup and took a sip of the pomegranate drink, "So, you've been working here for how many years now?" he asked, as the servant didn't leave his side, he guessed, the marquess ordered his attendant to stay since he was left by the two lads earlier. I should call Rufus once the dishes are all served.

He felt the steward flinch at the sudden question, the man felt a little awkward since noble people don't interact with him at all, only when they need to ask where the marquess is.

"...Two years my lord." Evan answered after a moment of silence.

"So, Rufus was your former workmate here then?" he asked in a low tone, he saw the right perfect timing so he's going to grab it now.

Evan cleared his throat, he felt his hands were getting cold and sweaty, if a noble person asks them, they can't lie, they need to answer at least, even a short answer's fine. He's just a little nervous because he doesn't want to get scolded or worse get him... by Idris if he gives a not so good answer. Which is clearly unfair for their side as servants?

"Yes. he was the head steward before me, my lord. Not until months ago-" he pinched himself when he mumbled the last sentence, he saw how the young lord tilted his head, that caught the young master, surely.

This is wrong but I'm gonna thank my power and deposition this time, I'm at the advantage. "...I see, why did he leave the manor then? If you don't mind me asking." Idris said in a calm voice, trying to get the servant under his hold.

The steward shut his eyes tightly before slowly opening it, of course he doesn't mind at all, they don't even have a right when it comes to those things, gossips of the aristocrats, "Uhm... he left because he was accused of stealing the Dumas heirloom watch."

And Idris' mouth fell open as he looked at Evan with an unexplainable expression, "What!?" he half shouted, surprising the man.

Rufus doesn't look like someone who will steal, that's what is in Idris' head. Does he even need to do that? Where in fact aristocrats are clearly going after him, he can be male consort and request all his whims or even the whole riches of a person if he wants to. And he won't do that. He's wondering even more why they accused that handsome man?

"Is it proven?" He asked one more time, even though he already knew the answer, he just wanted a confirmation from Rufus' former workmate.

"No, my lord. He was just accused by a maid because he was the one who cleaned the room of the marquess, he proved his innocence already, the marquess believed him and disregarded the false accusation, but he still chose to leave the manor to avoid any issues..." Evan explained.

Idris nodded proudly, See? I knew it. I could vouch for that.

"Do the... Marquess and Rufus have a thing?" he asked after.

Evan stopped and stared at the lord with a shocked expression, his eyes giving the are- you-serious look.

"That... I don't honestly know, my lord, but marquess likes Rufus a lot... he's so fond of him."