Chapter 2. Home

"Goodnight Adrian," we both said on our way out.

"Say hello to your father for us," Ana added. We walked in silence for a few minutes. I knew she was upset with what I had said earlier but I still had to ask as it was a thing we both did.

"Are you still mad at me?"

"Yes."

"Ok," I replied slipping my arm in hers as we walked to the subway.

Ana and I have been friends since we were 5. That's how far I can at least remember. At 23 and 20, we both have grown so much it makes me wonder who we would have become if our friendship never survived. She's amazing and I love her but, we both know deep down there is so much of this world we are missing out on.

We arrived at our apartment at 10 pm like clockwork and dived into our usual routine; brushing teeth, facial routine and neatly placing our braids in satin scarfs.

We shared a simply furnished apartment together in downtown Rhodes and we were 15 minutes away from work by subway and 30 minutes on foot. Our routine had taken 3 years to master and we were lucky to have the same job at Cafe Talk which was owned by Adrian's Father, Luke.

"I'm sorry I keep being negative," I finally said breaking the fight once we were both in the bedroom.

"Yeah," she said.

"Do you think we would have turned out differently had we not grown up with each other?" I asked letting my fears show.

"Maybe, maybe not," She started. "We are who we are regardless of the people we grow up with."

"I mean character-wise and you know, having fun like all the girls our age do," I pressed.

"Oh...you mean if I had spent more time with girls like Lisa?"

"Yeah, exactly."

"Well, maybe. But it's too late to think about that."

"Let's make a promise to each other."

"What kind of promise?"

"The kind that Snape and Narcissa made."

"Whoa! That's a bit too much..."

"Ok. A simple pinkie promise," I said lightly. "We promise to socialize." It took Ana nearly two minutes before she drew out her pinkie.

"Ok. Promise."