Chapter 35. Alone

There were days when I thought of how life would be without Ana and the feeling it would bring. Thinking about it was nothing close to how I felt. For once in my life, I felt alone.

"Thank you," I said to the moving guys as they left the last boxes in the living room.

I hadn't told Adrian that I was moving or that Ana and I don't live together anymore. Most girlfriends would but, I suddenly felt that I needed to do something by myself and see how well I'd handle it.

The apartment I'd moved into was spacious. I had huge windows in the living room, and it was connected to the kitchen that had a large counter and two bar stools that were left by the previous owner. The bedroom was okay since it had a walk-in closet and I could work with that. I started with the bedroom and it took me about two hours to get everything in considering the labeled boxes and care the moving people gave to them.

Ding Dong!

For a minute I assumed the sound was in my head until I heard it again. I really need to get used to my own doorbell. I hoped it was Ana but, she was moving in too and it would take her a while to settle in.

"Hi, I'm Odin," he said once the door was open and stretched out his hand. "I live down the hallway at 430."

"Donna," I replied smiling, shaking his hand briefly. "I-uh-just moved in."

"Yeah, I know. Would you like some help?" He asked. I did need help but from him, a stranger who claims to live in the same building?

Not today pal.

"Yeah, actually I do but-"

"No worries, I'd freak out too if some stranger knocked on my door and asked to help," Odin said smiling.

"Sure, come in."

"Amanda used to live here," he suddenly said. "Until she moved to Italy to pursue her dreams or whatever."

"Did you know her personally?" I asked.

"You could say that."

There was something a bit unsettling about Odin. Given his name, I was already freaking out. Then again, I freak out over everything. When he smiled, I could tell that there was so much to this Amanda that he was not saying.