Chapter 23. Oh, Adrian

I was determined not to turn around if he came running after me. Which of course, he didn't. I was one block away from the subway when I heard a car hooting beside me.

"Donna, get in," he said. Adrian.

"No, I'm good. I'll catch the subway home."

"Don't make me stop the car and drag you in." He said half-jokingly. Fine.

We drove for a few minutes in silence, awkward silence until he veered off the road and parked in the middle of nowhere.

"Follow me," he said taking off his safety belt and getting out.

Why does this suddenly feel like the beginning of a thriller episode?

"If you try anything funny, know that I am armed," I said under my breath but loud enough for him to hear. He was standing on the edge of a cliff overlooking the city with its yellow and white lights. Being there gave me the chills.

"I came here every day after my mother died," he said once I was beside him. "A couple of times, I dangled my feet over the edge and attempted to jump but never had the courage to." I could feel my heart beating in my ears.

This is not what I expected to hear.

"I still come here, sometimes, and just sit and stare out into the city. My mother meant the world to me. To my father. Losing her left the biggest hole in our lives. So, forgive me for holding back," he said finally turning to face me. "For I will not drag the only girl I have ever loved into this messy life of mine."

I looked into his eyes and I could feel tears coming to mine. I'd never have guessed it was this bad. I moved closer and wrapped my arms around his neck and in turn, he wrapped his around my waist pulling us closer.