Chapter 32. Battle Scars

He knew I was being indifferent towards him and he did not question me about it. Maybe his relationship with Nina doesn't mean anything and I should let them both be. Maybe-

"Donna, may I speak to you?" he asked standing in the office doorway. I lost my train of thought and it took me a while to respond.

"Sure," I said closing the cash machine. Stay calm Donna.

"Thank you for the coffee by the way," he said slipping into his seat.

"Yeah, anytime."

"I can tell you're upset," he started "And I am guessing it's because of Nina's visit?" I wasn't ready to answer that question, so I simply looked at him.

"We were in therapy together and she's like an older sister to me," he continued. "There are some parts of my past that I don't like to bring to light since I am not proud of them but she, she saved my life."

And now I feel like a total asshole for doubting him and being a brick wall the entire week.

"I know she comes off as bitchy, sorry to say, but her upbringing made her that way. Everyone needs to cope somehow with the struggles in their life."

"I understand that you have a past, so do I, Adrian. I simply need you to trust me enough to show me your battle scars. Let me in your life."

"I am working on it, just give me time Donna. What if my past is too sketchy for you and you don't take it that well?" He asked, holding on to his coffee cup.

Ding!

"Then I guess it's up to me since I asked for it," I replied getting up to serve the client.

"She knows you're my girlfriend and she's happy for me," Adrian said as I walked out. I turned to face him, and he had the weirdest smile on his face.