Chapter 42. Anger and Hugs

"Why?" I asked. "Why should I Derek?"

"Donna, please just stay..." he continued completely ignoring my question. I mean, what did I even expect him to say?

"You knew Adrian was a douchebag in nice guy pants and you said nothing!" I lashed out. "I do understand why you would be positive that he would change and all that bullshit but come on!" I could hear my voice rising the way it does when I'm pissed.

"I dragged myself through hellfire only to have my heart dragged through the mud for eight months and then dumped into the sewer. And you know what's the craziest part, I sometimes wished it were you I'd fallen for but like your cousin, you're slow and idiotic!"

My heart was racing, and hot tears stained my face. I felt so good letting that out yet completely horrible for lashing out at Derek. Did he deserve it? To some extent, yeah, kind of.

"Wow, I actually deserve all that," He said standing awkwardly. "You really hoped you'd fallen for me?"

"With all I said, that's the only thing you actually understood?" I said wiping away my tears on my sweater sleeves.

"You need to see the positive side of things," he said approaching me.

"What are you doing?" I said stepping back as he came closer.

"You, need a hug after letting all that out," Derek said and with that, he wrapped his arms around me.

Tears came gushing out once more and I was trembling. He held me tighter and let me cry out, soaking his perfect hoodie with my pain and anger.