Chapter 40. Bonfire

It was the way he said it then glanced at me and looked away. What did he mean? Maybe I am jumping into conclusions or, the simplest explanation was that I was right in his view when he looked up. Then again, he might mean what he said.

The fire was burning bright and we were seated quietly around it, roasting marshmallows. The dinner was good. Derek made the most amazing lasagna I'd ever tasted. A huge part of me nearly regretted it since I really didn't like pasta but, he changed my approach to it.

"How about some truths like we always do around bonfires?" Luke said.

"Okay, I'm up for it," Derek replied sitting up straight.

"I am happy that we have come this far," Luke started. "After we lost Linette, everything's been so dark. So, thank you all for bringing back the light."

We all looked towards him in silence and I could tell he was beaming with happiness.

"Now that we are speaking truths, Donna, we need to break up," Adrian said out of the blue I thought I misheard him.

"I'm sorry, what?" I said confused.

"I honestly don't see where this is going, and I realized that I love Nina."

"So, you brought me here to break up with me?" I asked appalled.

"Well, Derek wanted you here," he said coldly glancing at him.

"Adrian, that's enough!" Luke said shocked.

"You're such an asshole..."Derek said pissed. "From day one I knew you'd mess things up. It's always been about Nina. You know what, you're right. I'm glad I asked Donna to come. She can finally see who you really are." I looked up and caught his eye before he looked away.

"I'll just take a walk," I said shakily and headed for the lake.

My heart felt so heavy and I could barely breathe. I wanted to cry but instead, I was angry. Very angry.