Chapter 16. Truth

"What do you want to know?" I asked Luke as I sat on the couch.

"Surprise me."

I grew up on the West of the Island with two of my younger siblings. My parents both work for The Rhodes Letter and have written a couple of books together. Their most famous work is Dancing Alone that's in the process of being made into a movie.

"Your Parents are Elise and Jona Kite?" Luke asked taken aback. Clearly, their reputation had preceded them.

"Yeah," I replied "I try not to live in their spotlight hence, I go by my mother's maiden name, Rivers.

I met Ana in Elementary school and we became friends even though she was a year behind. We lived a block away from each other and we both decided to apply to college on the East Island and we have lived here since.

"So how does Adrian fit into all this?" His question took me by surprise, and he smiled triumphantly.

"I'll explain if you tell me your story," I shot back confidently. He looked at me intently and began

Linette and I got married when we were young, but we had Adrian after a few years. We toured a lot and spent most of our early years with friends or family. When we finally had Adrian, we chose to settle here, on the East Island. One evening, when Adrian was 18, Linette and I went for a fundraiser dinner and came home late. As we were getting into the driveway, a drunk driver ran into us crushing Linette who was asleep in the passenger's seat. She died three days later, and I've never been the same since.

I sat in silence with tears in my eyes. Luke was calm but appeared to be very distant. I was lost for words.

"So, tell me, Donna. Why are you here today?"

"Can't you already tell?" I said sniffling.

"I'm not one to assume."

"Well, it's simple. I love your son." I've loved him since the first day we met.