Chapter 37. Hang in there

"Derek, Hi!" I said smiling.

"Hey Donna," he smiled back. "Long time no see."

The last time we saw each other was when he and Adrian had the so-called 'talk' together and my brother was over.

"I know. So, staying over at Adrian's?" I asked knowingly.

"Yeah, we are actually planning to go camping over the weekend."

"Perfect timing with the weather and all!"

I thought Adrian and I had something planned...could this be it?

"May I have a latte and a cupcake please," he said eyeing the freshly baked ones on the counter.

"Sure thing."

"So how are you and Adrian doing?" he asked as I made the latte.

"We're ok," I said.

"I know he has a whole lot of issues and that he rarely talks about them but, he does care a lot about you," Derek said.

"Yeah, but I just can't sit around like a duck waiting for him to open up, can I?" I said openly for the first time.

"Come camping with us," he said suddenly. "I know Adrian might take a while to ask you so, I am. Come camping with us and then spend time together away from all of this," he added looking around the cafe.

"If he asks me, I will come. If not, then we'll see how things go from there." I replied. "Thank you for the offer though."

"Don't give up on him Donna, you're all he has, and I see your point but, just hang in there," he said taking the latte and cupcake from my hands and heading towards the office.

"I'll do my best," I replied.